Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

Share |

Used Laars Newport 125 Oil Burner

A friend is converting to gas at the same time we have found out that we need a new oil burner (we can not convert, no access to gas line). My friend has offered to give us her 9 year old burner, but I don't know how cost effective it would be if it is half way or almost at the end of it's life.

Does anyone have some knowledge that they would share with me? I'd like to make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Jdiehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Depends, if it's a oil fired boiler and it's been taken care of go for it . It could last another 20 years. Besides you got nothing to lose yours needs replacing . A free boiler WOW.

You need a good mechanic to remove it and install it and set it up properly. Probably the guy who's installing her new one.
He will remove it with care if he knows he has your job.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

If its a Beckett than you can replace just about any part on it cheaply. So technically there is no such thing as at the end of its life as those are designed to be highly servicable. 9 years is nothing for these.
russiand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #4

Now that said you are going to have to double check what the right air tube and head for your application is, which will include a nozzle assembly. Also you will need the right nozzle and adjust the pressure according to the specs for your boiler. After that you should call a tech to adjust the air settings for your application.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

Wait are you talking the whole boiler or just the burner? The big problem with installing a used boiler, is that unless you can do it yourself or have a plumber or hvac friend, there ain't nobody in their right mind who is going to install used equipment. These guys need to be protected by manufact. warranty and liability insurance and stuff and the labor involved is exactly the same in both cases. For them it's not worth the effort to install used. Often they refuse to install new equipment provided by the homeowner. At any rate, if you can do it yourself and are confident it sounds like a good deal. One thing to consider is to compare the size of your current boiler vs the freebie. If the one you are getting is larger, you will be wasting a lot of money in oil. If smaller it won't keep up. Usually pros do a heatloss on the dwelling to figure out the right size. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #6

Wrong, I know many mechanics that would install a used burner or boiler.

The Warranty is long gone so forgetaboutit. However a good mechanic will do a good job installing it and setting it up and will guarantee his workmanship not material.

Now if it's a new installation that's a different story.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #7

It is the entire unit that needs to be replaced and I have 2 guys, one plumber and one burner guy that both said they would be willing to check it out to see if it's in good shape and install it for me (all connections brand new).

I know the unit is a Beckett and has been well maintained. It's good to hear that I can get some good life out of it.

Thanks!!

PS - feel free to give me more advice! The more informed I am the better I will feel.

Last edited by Jdiehm; 03-15-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Jdiehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
REP

Just a thought here.Nobody and I mean nobody can set up an oil burner without instraments.I don't care if he has been doing it for 50 years.Fuel today is just too expensive and the closest a by eye set will cost you an extra 20%.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote