Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Did you find this thread discriptive
Poll Options
Did you find this thread discriptive

Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Urgent! House Cold, NO heat, pilot lit (Lennox)

Lennox G8D2-55E-8

Approximately 1 month and 15 days ago my furnace stoped working.
the night before the problem occured, the furnace was giving out perfect heat. I left for work in the morning around 10am but when I returned around 10pm the furnace was no longer working. I was told the problem with the flames going out was probably caused by a that draft the was inside the home from someone leaving the back door open for more than 10 min. Nonetheless, I was egger to get started and getting the heat back on. I turned the thermostat up to the highest setting as I usually did in to get the heat to kick in instantly (1 or 2minutes). However, this time nothing happened.

I then toke a look at the furnace and only seen the igniter clicking but no pilot light on or anything. I tinkered around a bit more with the thermo stat and got the pilot to light; however, the main bunners still did not kick in. after about 20 minutes of hearing the clicking of the ignitor and pilot staying on. I decided to get my neighbor to come have a look. Basically he said the burner chambers were dirty and had to be cleaned. He later refered me to someone he knew in the business which I had come by the following day.

The next they came and checked the furnace and insisted that the ignitor and its relay cable the flame sensor and pilot had to be changed and that it would cost about $170 - $250 for normal to the best parts to change the old parts out. being familiar with my furnace I automatically assumed it was the main gas flow that was not getting to the pilot flame because it the pilot stayed lit without any new parts installed yet.

Anywho, one of the guys said they had the extra parts needed for my repair at there location near by and came back. I went through with the purchase of the parts from them for about $170. They then installed the parts and tried up the furnace in manual mode which shortly after the main burner chambers were back up and running. They said I should keep the furnace on manual mode for the remainder of winter(which is especially annoying when there is to much heat or too little). for a while the furnace stayed on all the time blowing heat until 2 days ago when the main flame from the furnace chambers finally went out and only the pilot remained lit. The enducer however is still blowing air(cold) throughout the home but back to the same problem again. Strangely enough, yesterday night (sunday) I depressed the furnace from a manual position to a automatic potion. within 2 minutes of closing the door. The heat came back on again and lasted over night till it reached the desired temperature or 26 degrees celcius. Ironically enough, in the morning (monday), back to the same problem with everything working except the main flames comming on to make sufficient heat.

The ignitor is going and the pilot flame is going, and the enducer appears to be fine because I can still feel the cold air however there is no heat. All that seems to be missing is gas to so that the heat will come on.

I went online to check for any reasons this is happening. Furthermore, I have arrived at my own conclusions for reading a million threads.

1. because there is no flames I suspect something to do with the gas not flowing properly because the pilot stays lit for hours but main burners do not turn on.
2. It might be a bad flame sensor.

or
3. A bad relay switch box which is a Robertshaw (SP735L)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wish someone can help me get the heat back or gonna have to open up the oven .

Last edited by ThatGuy23; 02-03-2009 at 12:36 PM.
ThatGuy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

You're terminology seems to be off. The inducer does not blow cold air through the house. If it does you better get that heat exchanger checked ASAP.
Also an igniter glows and does not spark. What you are describing is a spark ignition module. A poorly grounded ignition module can keep trying to lite even though the pilot is lit. The module is not sensing the pilot flame even though you can see it lit.
It could also be a cracked flame sensor which will also not sense a pilot flame. This is a safety feature and is what will keep the main gas valve from opening so that raw gas is not being dumped into your house. That is why the spark module is continuing to try and lite even after the pilot flame is present.

chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #3

BTW, don't use a gas oven to heat your home unless you want to take a dirt nap.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
G71
Pro

What is this "manual" mode you are referring to?
G71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

if that is an Inducer Draft Motor (IDM) your referring to your ID is the first thing to start on a cal for heat.sounds like your not making your pressure switch that tells the main gas the ID is running.tap the pressure switch with a screwdriver handle with a call for heat see if you get the cycle to heat.make sure the tube that runs from it is clear of moisture/water,the squirrels in the cage on the ID are clear of dirt.the guys who helped you should of went right for that.....right off the bat?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
G71
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
if that is an Inducer Draft Motor (IDM) your referring to your ID is the first thing to start on a cal for heat.sounds like your not making your pressure switch that tells the main gas the ID is running.tap the pressure switch with a screwdriver handle with a call for heat see if you get the cycle to heat.make sure the tube that runs from it is clear of moisture/water,the squirrels in the cage on the ID are clear of dirt.the guys who helped you should of went right for that.....right off the bat?
If the pressure switch wasn't pulling in, he'd get no pilot.Also, I don't think a g8 has an inducer motor or press. switch

Last edited by G71; 02-03-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #7

Lennox G8D2-55E-8 (built: NOV,91)

Ok guys im not to sure where to begin but I think we are onto something. By the way I failed to mention that the chambers are slightly rusty but I think the ignition maybe not grounded as mentioned before. the guys that came by didn't even use a volt meter or anything to test what was causing the problem, by the way I live in a town home, so no chimney, or at least from my knowledge. In regards to the manual button the I pulled out, I was refering to a honeywell auto or manual switch box to switch the furnace from just blowing all the time or automatically control the temperature through thermostat.

also I will do my best to take some pictures ASAP.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wish someone cann help me get the heat back or gonna have to open up the oven .
Attached Thumbnails
Urgent! House Cold, NO heat, pilot lit (Lennox)-0203091222.jpg   Urgent! House Cold, NO heat, pilot lit (Lennox)-0203091223a.jpg   Urgent! House Cold, NO heat, pilot lit (Lennox)-0203091223b.jpg   Urgent! House Cold, NO heat, pilot lit (Lennox)-0203091225.jpg   Urgent! House Cold, NO heat, pilot lit (Lennox)-0203091225a.jpg  

Urgent! House Cold, NO heat, pilot lit (Lennox)-0203091230.jpg  

Last edited by ThatGuy23; 02-03-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 02-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

You have a natural draft furnace and yes you have a chimney the round pipe on the top exaust's the fumes up the chimney. Your problem is probly 1 of 2 things. 1st with the pilot and furnace off you can clean the flame senser it is one of the rods that the pilot flame burns on you can use steel wool to clean it. or 2nd the ignition modual is faulty and acting up. In this case it would need to be replaced. Leave the unit in auto the fan switch has nothing to do with the main burner. The only way to truly know if the ingition modual is bad is to have the correct tools and knowlage to test it.
If you do have a pro back out have him check that units for cracks in the heat exchanger. That type and that age have a tendency to crack.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #9

Ok based on what you said about the flame sensor, I should still clean it even though it's one month old right? and it's so strange that I was able to get it to work sunday night randomly after putting back on the hood. I think the problem might ly with the flame sensor cable or unit itself.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #10

also if I take off the pilot assembly to get to the flame sensor rod am I gonna have to remove anything else?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

It look like you may have room to reach in there and lightly clean without removing. Otherwise the pilot gas line, the flame senser wire and spark wire all attach to the pilot assembly. Also make sure the ground wire on the ignition modual is secure at both ends. Just something to try before spending any money even if it is fairly new.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
G71
Pro

Since you have established pilot flame, you need to check for 24v. to the gas valve, if you aren't comfortable doing that, it might be time to call for help. Also the pilot flame looks a bit week, did they clean the pilot orfice when they were there?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #13

Not sure if they did or not... but my hunch is that they didn't. I will try to clean the flame sensor rod with steal woll and give you a heads about what happens.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #14

by the way guys, how long should the flame sensor stay hot at the top and at the bottom after you cut the power off to the furnace, mines was pretty cold within a minute or less. I felt the bottom of the sensor that connects to the wire and it wasn't even warm or remotely. Could this be why the switch box is not picking up that the flame of the pilot that is lit, and if so, what is the best form of metal combination should I purchase for the next flame sensor.

Last edited by ThatGuy23; 02-03-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #15

ThatGuy23, you need to bite the bullet and call another service co. There's a good chance that HX is shot. And giving you advice on how to kill yourself with Carbon Monoxide is not good advice. The other co. apparently doesn't know how to use a meter. Cut your losses and call a pro.