Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Exclamation

Urgent!--Can you put more freon in an A/C condensor than the "factory charge" amount?

Hello:

I have central air (by that I mean I have a digital thermostat and I condensor unit outside). The factory label says that the "factory charge" was 4 lbs 5 ounces. I take it this means that the manfacturer put this much freon in it. I am about to have an A/C repair person recharge it. What if the person tells me that they put more than this amount in it? Should I say that is impossible, or should I just accept their word?

Thanks,

John

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-27-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: mispelling
Heatwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Urgent!--Can you put more freon in an A/C condensor than the "factory charge" amount?

Why are you having it recharged? Did you have repairs done to it? Also, this is the wrong forum for this question.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Why are you having it recharged? Did you have repairs done to it? Also, this is the wrong forum for this question.
It is not cooling. I am not familiar w/ this forum and the guy is on the way. I want to know how much it will take. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

The guy doing the job will know. As for not cooling, it could a number of factors, not just low on freon alone. If they do find out that it is low, they will look for leaks first, before wasting freon.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
the Musigician

Moved to HVAC. This will help get more HVAC guys seeing it.

DM
Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #6

Also depends on the lenth of the line sets, so every one is different. It goes by pressure, not by volume/weight.
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

It can be a little higher than that depending on the line set length. Maybe a couple pounds at the most.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

It holds 4 lbs 5 oz and they put three. My instinct is that it does not take a whole lot more.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatwave View Post
It holds 4 lbs 5 oz and they put three. My instinct is that it does not take a whole lot more.
a digital scale was used?????

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
REP

OK its time to slow down and use your head.
Say you are the guy in the factory.You are building the outside unit.Do you know how that unit is going to be installed? Do you know how long the lineset is going to be?Do you kinow what size indoor coil, its going to be connected to? Of course you don't.
Once the whole system is installed then you can hook up your gages and add gas.
since the house is going to take a lot of "CONDITIONING" it would be best to get it close to super heat and sub cooling specs and come back in a few days and get those specs dead on.Thatas the way you do it right.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
a digital scale was used?????

I don't know. They had hoses that had what looked to be pressure gauges of sorts. I know nothing about HVAC. The original question seemed basic enough: Is it standard for the A/C repair people to add no more than the factory charge amount. That amount is listed on the label.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #12

Quote:
I don't know. They had hoses that had what looked to be pressure gauges of sorts. I know nothing about HVAC. The original question seemed basic enough: Is it standard for the A/C repair people to add no more than the factory charge amount. That amount is listed on the label.
You have to add more refrigerant when the line set are long. A/C service manual you can find a table that shows how much refrigerant you have to add for the lenght of the line set.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
REP

Quote:
No No No now listen to me.Each SYSTEM has a correct charge that depends on numerous things that the guy in the factory know nothing about,but each system has a need for a corect amount of gas to do the job.To determine that amount you take a super heat calculation and/or a sub cooling calculation. THIS IS THE "ONLY"WAY TO DO IT RIGHT!!!!
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #14

Example only to illustrate:

1- label on the condenser says 5 pounds
2- Lineset 40ft.....table shows you need to add 16oz
3- Superheat and Subcooling for fine adjustment.

A/C is charged correctly

Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 70

Quote:
Hello:

I have central air (by that I mean I have a digital thermostat and I condensor unit outside). The factory label says that the "factory charge" was 4 lbs 5 ounces. I take it this means that the manfacturer put this much freon in it. I am about to have an A/C repair person recharge it. What if the person tells me that they put more than this amount in it? Should I say that is impossible, or should I just accept their word?

Thanks,

John
The only time a system would have more put in it then the factory listed charge is. Is when the system has no refrigerant in it, the line set is longer the the factory's precharge amount allows for, and or an evap coil that is larger then the most common match is used/being used.

On a system that still has some charge in it, generally the amount added won't be more then the factory's listed charge.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote