Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Upstairs room gets hot...

I have a "bonus" room above my garage that gets too warm in the summer and too cold in the winter. The home is 2 years old, here in North Carolina. The room has always had this problem, so it is nothing new. The room is above the garage and measures 11' x 14'. It has 2 ceiling vents, 1 next to the only window in the room and another close to the door. The ceiling is 10' tall. There is no return in this room. The strange thing is that there is an adjacent bedroom that also has two vents, yet it is very comfortable. The differences are that the bedroom has the uninsulated attic above it, the "bonus room" has a gable roof above it. The AC handler is in the attic, 10 feet from the bedroom, 25 feet to the "bonus" room. The ductwork to the "bonus" room is 6" on one and 8" on the other.

One contractor wanted $500 to replace the 6" ductwork with 8" and add two wall registers (each side of wall) above the door to allow trapped air to flow out of the room. He "guaranteed" this would make the room comfortable.

A second contractor wants to add a return (size was not provided) and add a the wall registers above the door. I do not have a quote for this.

Does anyone have any advice?

olcottke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcottke View Post
I have a "bonus" room above my garage that gets too warm in the summer and too cold in the winter. The home is 2 years old, here in North Carolina. The room has always had this problem, so it is nothing new. The room is above the garage and measures 11' x 14'. It has 2 ceiling vents, 1 next to the only window in the room and another close to the door. The ceiling is 10' tall. There is no return in this room. The strange thing is that there is an adjacent bedroom that also has two vents, yet it is very comfortable. The differences are that the bedroom has the uninsulated attic above it, the "bonus room" has a gable roof above it. The AC handler is in the attic, 10 feet from the bedroom, 25 feet to the "bonus" room. The ductwork to the "bonus" room is 6" on one and 8" on the other.

One contractor wanted $500 to replace the 6" ductwork with 8" and add two wall registers (each side of wall) above the door to allow trapped air to flow out of the room. He "guaranteed" this would make the room comfortable.

A second contractor wants to add a return (size was not provided) and add a the wall registers above the door. I do not have a quote for this.

Does anyone have any advice?
It is necessary for air to circulate. If you put a candle in a vaccum it will go out. If you do not have any air circulation you will die. The return air will help balance the room pressure, but does not introduce fresh air and this is what is needed.

glenhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhandy View Post
It is necessary for air to circulate. If you put a candle in a vaccum it will go out. If you do not have any air circulation you will die. The return air will help balance the room pressure, but does not introduce fresh air and this is what is needed.
the attic above your room needs to be insulated and a vapor barrier
added on the warm side of the room between the insulation and the drywall. This will stop moisture transfer between the attic area and the finished room.
The attic area must have eave channel ventilation, so that your shingles will not fail before the warranty on then runs out
glenhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,632

The bedroom you said that stays comfortable. Is it also above the garage? Or is it over a conditioned room.

How well is your garage ceiling insulated? Is it a trussed ceiling?
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #5

The bedroom that stays comfortable is also above the garage. The garage ceiling is trussed and is well insulated.

My observation is that the room does not handle any "added" heat load very well. If I walk into the room, even on a hot day, and the TV (plasma) is off and no one else is in the room, it feels moderately comfortable. If the plasma screen has been on for a couple of hours, the room will be 10 degrees warmer than the hallway just outside the door. It seems that the warm air gets trapped near the ceiling and has no where to go.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

How big is the plasma TV ?
How much power does it use ?
Many use 500-700w...thats basically a heater running in that room
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 AM   #7

is a 58" plasma and it does get warm.

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the contractor feedback?