Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Upgraded to new Hunter model 44860 thermostat and now no emergency heat

I have an original Westinghouse air handler/ heat pump set up from 1979 which the heat pump does not work and hasn't since I bought the house. The emergency heat function in the air handler works fine. I have 2 wood stoves that heat the house primarily which is why the heat pump has never been repaired. I do however use the emergency heat function through the night once the fires cool off to keep the house at a decent temperature until the morning fire is lit. My problem now is that when I upgraded my thermostat (purely for the updated look alone as the other unit worked fine), I lost my emergency heat function. The thermostat displays that the emergency heat is on and the blower runs, but only cool air comes out. My old thermostat had two settings for Aux heat. The switch would either be in normal or you could slide it to emergency. In normal mode the fan would run and it seemed like a very luke warm air almost cool air would blow out. If I moved it to the emergency setting, the fan would slow a bit and the heat would definitely come on. I figured the fan slowed because of the new high electric draw from the heat strips.

My first question would be: Are there two different heat settings for the electric air handler heat like a low and high?

Secondly, if this is the case is it possible what is happening is that my new thermostat is only signaling a low heat start up and not the full strength that I need? It kind of seems like it is running like my old thermostat did on the "normal" setting with the blue Aux light on.

Any ideas?? We called Hunter and as far as they are concerned we have all of the wires hooked up right and it is a problem with my air handler. The old thermostat still operates the heating element fine though on the emergency setting as I just swapped it back just to check.

hlmaint is offline   Reply With Quote