Upgrade/fix Or Replace? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Upgrade/fix or replace?

I have Goodman Ser13 HVAC 4ton system, I live in Florida and temp during the days is 90 and at night 70. The air runs short cycles during the day of 10mins on and 9 mins off "temp set to 76". After 5pm I have to take it up to 78deg as the cycle times go up to 28mins on and 5mins off. At 78 deg it is 18 on and 5 mins off.

Is this normal for short off cycles like this? What is causing this and what can I do to have it have better cycle rates, longer off times?

Advertisement

tim_ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,682

Upgrade/fix or replace?

How long its off. Is determined mostly by how long it takes your house to heat back up.

Check if the hole in your wall where the thermostat wires come through, is sealed. If not, seal it with caulk.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

Upgrade/fix or replace?

Has the unit always been this way or is it getting progressively worse? Is it in an attic? Have you had the freon level checked and proper maintenance done to it. May have ductwork leaks in the attic and need some proper maintenance.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

Upgrade/fix or replace?

Need to get a pro ou to check pressures and temperatures.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #5

Upgrade/fix or replace?

It has been close to this for awhile. I have had a new coil put in Nov 09 in the outside compresor. and the evap coil is only 1.5 years old. The whole until is 2002 except for the two new parts. House is 2000sq feet. The thermostat is on the wall right by the air in take for the air handler and I have looked and see insulation in the wall so I think it is sealed well enough.

I thought maybe more insulation in the attic may help. There is some in there now from when it was first built. House is concrete cinder block. all windows have plantation shutters. Have had unit serviced last year about 7 months ago. The master Bedroom in the back of the house at night when thermostat is at 76 is 73 and then by 9am it jumps to 77-78 deg and thermostat is still set to 76. Rest of the house is 75-76.

Thoughts / Ideas?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

Upgrade/fix or replace?

I am going to get an HAVC tech to come out and take a look at the unit and take readings. What readings should I make sure he takes? Also what are good ranges to look for to make sure it is running good.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Upgrade/fix or replace?

Get these readings for us and we may be able to help:
1) outdoor temp AND humidity from weather channel at the time of readings
2)suction pressure
3)discharge pressure
4) superheat or subcool temp
5)amperage draw
6) temp difference between return air back to unit and supply air to the house
7) wet bulb and dry bulb temp outdoors by the unit

Take a garden hose and wash the dirt from the outdoor unit (no pressure washer). Check air filter and underneath the evap coil for dirt (may need tech to do that).
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #8

Upgrade/fix or replace?

Yuri - Thank for the questions. Where is the filter at under the evap coil?

I have never seen one and I watched when the replaced it about a year ago. Any diagrams for it ?

I know the main filter for the air intake but nothing after that. Basically I can open the door and take out the main big filter then I can look straight up into the evap coil. So not sure what other filter you are talking about.

Thanks

Last edited by tim_ver; 05-17-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Upgrade/fix or replace?

Okay, you have a attic unit and your filter is under the return grill and not at the air handler like in a upflow furnace. The evap coil fins should be inspected where the air enters for dirt and cleaned if necessary. Shop vac and soft brush is one way and spray soap if there is scuzz on the fins. Then you have to rinse the coil and make sure the drain has not got plugged or it can overflow and water damage will occur.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Upgrade/fix or replace?

Dirty evap won't cause short cycle. That would create longer run time.

Might try looking at the stat.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #11

Upgrade/fix or replace?

Ok, they came out but just did a quick diag and said this.

The wrote this out:
18 degree temp split
high: 52.6
low
Coil temp: 34.9

They said high should have been at least 72 as outside temp was 80 so it has a leak.

But would not say where it was or how low the r22 was. What the heck does this mean?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

Upgrade/fix or replace?

Not too much. They may be unco-operative. If it is low on freon it is struggling too keep up and that is what I suspect is the problem. Unfortunately as techs we get a lot of crap from customers and our competition and people going on the net etc etc and won't give out info so we don't get stabbed in the back. If the customer pays by the hour I will show him the leak and give him options. I would talk to your neighbors, co-workers etc and see if they can recommend a decent company and be prepared to pay for a leak search etc. Your compressor may be worn as you put a lot of running hours on it in your climate. 8 yrs in Florida may equal 12-14 where I live or other parts of the US.

Last edited by yuri; 05-21-2010 at 08:03 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #13

Upgrade/fix or replace?

So the readings above show it has a leak? The outside coil was just put in nov 09 and was done due to a restriction and the evap coil freezing up.

What would a leak test cost to find out if the new outside coil is leaking?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Hvac Pro

Upgrade/fix or replace?

I don't know but the whole sequence of events sounds strange and sketchy to me. Was the entire outdoor unit replaced? or just the literal coil? VERY rare that the coil is replaced as it is very difficult and time consuming. Sounds to me like your whole system has been hacked around with for lack of better words IMO. May be turning into a continouos $$ pit. Everything we do is by the $$/hr and I imagine they charge at least $80-$150 /hr so you have to decide if you want to really spend more $$ on it.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Upgrade/fix or replace?

Have someone fill it up and add arglo. That's a dye used to pin point small leaks. Next time it's low after adding the arglo tell the company to bring a UV light and find the leak. Takes a half hour or less to locate a leak once the dye comes out. Bigger leaks will leave oil residue so they're pretty easy to find without dye. Probably going to be on the indoor coil, damaged from the ice.

Advertisement

Last edited by Marty S.; 05-21-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote