Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

Share |

unusual damper problem

I have unusual spring-open dampers that use a length of notched plastic ribbon that winds around a spool where the damper motor (a Synchron) connects (see pic at http://s14.postimage.org/x97cpmfdt/damper.jpg). Each damper blade has its own return spring (behind the orange plastic). The end of the plastic ribbon broke and the damper is now stuck in the open position.

The contractor that installed the system in 2008 is no longer in business. Another contractor that came to take a look said he'd never seen anything like this and proposed to replace the entire damper. This seems like overkill as everything but the small plastic ribbon is working fine so I'm hoping someone here can recognize the design or manufacturer.

Thanks,
Tobin

TobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

unusual damper problem

If you cannot get parts, or too hard to fix, yes easier to just replace.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #3

unusual damper problem

I wouldn't mind replacing if the part was hard to find. The issue here is that I don't even know what to call it so I search for availability.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #4

unusual damper problem

Can you remove it and re attach the spring? Have it riveted or welded?

It may just hook in and can be stretched slightly to re attach. Just a thought.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

unusual damper problem

@techpappy can't do: upon further inspection, it looks like the ribbon is cut to size and both ends are "fattened" to jam into the black "roller" and the orange damper blade control, respectively. It's rubberized plastic so it can't be welded and it can't be glued because the break happened right at the roller (and it needs to be flexible + move frequently in 140+F heat). There is no more than 1mm of extra room inside the roller. The rest of the space is taken up by the motor drive shaft.

Quite a conundrum.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #6

unusual damper problem

Sorry..Looked at your pic and have.been looking online for over 2 hours..no luck so far..maybe best to buy new but wait a little while to see if anyone can identify..also maybe remove unit to see if you can find mnfctrer's info.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

unusual damper problem

sorry to say this....replace them all ..now or later....just replace them... will always be an issue....ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote