Uneven Tempertures-Cold Air Return Help - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Uneven Tempertures-Cold Air Return Help

First time user here, thank you in advance for your help and Happy New Year.

I replaced my AC unit and furnace about 8 months ago and had the cold air return placed centrally in the home (originally had individual returns in each room with the filter in the crawl space). When the bedroom doors are open, the house remains at an even temperture, however, when the doors are closed, the temperture in the bedrooms drop drastically. The furthest room from the unit I have had to resort to an electric room heater.There is plenty of clearence under all the doors which should allow the cold air to be pulled out.

Should I, or can I tap off the main return and put smaller returns into the bedrooms?

Someone advised me to get a sheet of foam insulation board, cut it and make the register coming into the bedrooms smaller. I am uncertain as to how this would resolve the issue, but was told it was a possible solution.

I was also told I can put louvers into the bedroom doors to allow airflow when the doors are closed, an option that to me would be an absolute last resort.

Here is some information that may help. Home is about 1,600 sq ft. one level, 3 bed, 2 bath, living dining room combo. I believe it is a 4 ton 14 seer AC unit with a 95% effecient gas furnace.

Any additional info needed, just ask.

Thank you.

Advertisement

nydutchmaster22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydutchmaster22 View Post
First time user here, thank you in advance for your help and Happy New Year.

I replaced my AC unit and furnace about 8 months ago and had the cold air return placed centrally in the home (originally had individual returns in each room with the filter in the crawl space). When the bedroom doors are open, the house remains at an even temperture, however, when the doors are closed, the temperture in the bedrooms drop drastically. The furthest room from the unit I have had to resort to an electric room heater.There is plenty of clearence under all the doors which should allow the cold air to be pulled out.

Should I, or can I tap off the main return and put smaller returns into the bedrooms?

Someone advised me to get a sheet of foam insulation board, cut it and make the register coming into the bedrooms smaller. I am uncertain as to how this would resolve the issue, but was told it was a possible solution.

I was also told I can put louvers into the bedroom doors to allow airflow when the doors are closed, an option that to me would be an absolute last resort.

Here is some information that may help. Home is about 1,600 sq ft. one level, 3 bed, 2 bath, living dining room combo. I believe it is a 4 ton 14 seer AC unit with a 95% effecient gas furnace.

Any additional info needed, just ask.

Thank you.
Well who ever talked you into getting a "common" return certainly didn't do you any favors at all. if the room permits you can connect to the existing return trunk and go back to drawing off the old return grills....(providing they are still in place?) Some ductwork is going to be involved, but its very do-able.

Advertisement

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

i would cheat the hotter rooms down on the vents to push the air into other rooms..maybe hookup up a returns to the furthest room but you need to get that heat in there..first off.if you have floor registers drop sections of the local paper over them check one at a time.... dropping a paper checking the backroom see if your changing that supply into it.if you had returns in each they should of kept them now the return is say in the hallway and all the rooms are being pulled and the furthest isn't.forget the door grills try to connect the old returns and adjust the warmer rooms down on there supplies....don't do to much you want to see an action then the reaction/results of your tweeking the system.major item make sure that new return is sealed pulling hallway air only not crawl space or basement air only conditioned air back...and eye ball the supplies for no leaks
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydutchmaster22 View Post
There is plenty of clearance under all the doors which should allow the cold air to be pulled out.
Or... maybe not.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

Just run returns to the bedrooms.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Firsdt and foremost do not block any supplies.HVAC equipment needs to breathe.The easier it breathes the longer it will last.
Second,really! a 4 ton system for a 1600 sq ft house.In HVAC bigger is not better.You need to find out what size your house needs.You wouldn't buy shoes 2 sizes to big but that wouldn't cost you anything.Hvac equipment that is the wrong size costs a lot of extra money and it costs you comfort.
Do yourself a big favor and reconnect the individual return air grilles.If you don't like cghanging filters,then get one of those 4 or 5 inch filters that last 6 months or a year(see Research Products Spaceguard)
I get the feeling that you pick out contractors by the price they charge.In this field you definetely get what you pay for.
For your information if your 95% furnace is also too big it still costs you more money to run.

Advertisement

REP is offline   Reply With Quote