Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #1

Share |

Uneven air distribution through vents in house

Just curious about something. I have been living in a newly constructed house for about 4 months now. Most of the air blowing out of the vents are pretty even. However, in my master bedroom, there are 2 vents on the floor beneath the window. One of them seems to have a normal amount of air blowing out of it, but the other one has nothing. Is this something that is adjustable, or is just the result of those 2 vents being split from one, or are they really 2 different vents branching from the main vent pipe? Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something I can adjust myself, or do I have to call the builder?

Zombify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Uneven air distribution through vents in house

Traditionally each arm of duct work has a damper that can be adjusted. The damper is a round or square flat insert the fits inside the pathway - held in place on a hinge and one end that sticks out has a 'handle' to allow it to be rotated.
They are usually located near the beginning of each new length - wherever it branches off the main line to come to the bathroom. This damper can be adjusted to allow for more or less air to flow through.

Now, if you have 2 arms branching off you either have one damper that is closed too much.
Or the arm that receives more air is open too much.
Third - the arm with more air likely comes first on the arm because air will follow the path of least resistance and rush out the closer pathway, leaving less air to come out the 2nd pathway, even if both dampers are opened the same amount.

So - locate and adjust the dampers (if there are any, their should be) and if there isn't a damper then the third option is your likely problem.

You can install dampers if there aren't any - it's kind of annoying but rather basic in it's purpose and installation.

Zombify (04-28-2010)