Underground Natural Gas Line - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

underground natural gas line

I recently got an estimate from a HVAC company to run gas line to shop. From the meter, he would run 3/4" black pipe attached to side of house above footing for 30 ft., go into ground 20" with 3/4" copper and run it 125 feet, exit with 3/4" with black pipe up side of shop 8 ft, then into shop 18" with a cut off valve. A total of 167 feet.
First, I thought $10 per foot was on the high side, but now as I look deeper into the requirements, I don't think he would be to code with the 3/4" copper pipe----he said that he was a certified pipe fitter.

Anyone have any idea about the cost of the yellow poly pipe that is available for gas?

Advertisement

Captflx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captflx View Post
I recently got an estimate from a HVAC company to run gas line to shop. From the meter, he would run 3/4" black pipe attached to side of house above footing for 30 ft., go into ground 20" with 3/4" copper and run it 125 feet, exit with 3/4" with black pipe up side of shop 8 ft, then into shop 18" with a cut off valve. A total of 167 feet.
First, I thought $10 per foot was on the high side, but now as I look deeper into the requirements, I don't think he would be to code with the 3/4" copper pipe----he said that he was a certified pipe fitter.

Anyone have any idea about the cost of the yellow poly pipe that is available for gas?

Copper would be to code... The size will depend on length & the pressure on the pipe & the total BTU of appliances.There are sizing charts in the code book.. He should be able to give you a price n the poly pipe , fittings & the risers that will be needed... If you go with poly . I suggest that you have him install a tracer wire

Advertisement

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

In my state you need to be a licensed plumber to do gas lines. Or the homeowner. If it's above ground, I can file the permit as an exempt contractor, and if the town ok's it, I can do it. But the town has say-so.

Copper can be a bad idea for natural gas, depending on how clean or dirty it is. Plus the joint from steel to copper can be a problem. Around here if it's going in the ground, it's either steel pipe with factory applied coating, or fused polyethylene with tracer wire and warning tape.

Being a certified pipe fitter is only as meaningful as the regulating body that certifies him.

Also, the town should have ultimate say on type of pipe. Size would also need to be calculated, not guessed at.

The PE pipe is less expensive and easy if you have the right tools and are factory trained.

But check with the town and make sure a licensed plumber isn't required.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
In my state you need to be a licensed plumber to do gas lines. Or the homeowner. If it's above ground, I can file the permit as an exempt contractor, and if the town ok's it, I can do it. But the town has say-so.

Copper can be a bad idea for natural gas, depending on how clean or dirty it is. Plus the joint from steel to copper can be a problem. Around here if it's going in the ground, it's either steel pipe with factory applied coating, or fused polyethylene with tracer wire and warning tape.

Being a certified pipe fitter is only as meaningful as the regulating body that certifies him.

Also, the town should have ultimate say on type of pipe. Size would also need to be calculated, not guessed at.

The PE pipe is less expensive and easy if you have the right tools and are factory trained.

Like you said about copper. It depends on the nat gas in your area.. It can cause scale to form inside the copper.. In my area there are thousands of houses piped totally with copper. Making the connection from steel to copper isn't a problem . You just use a brass fitting from pipe thread to sae thread.. Here if you are a plumber .You also have to be certified gas fitter to run gas.. All depends on area what is / isn't required

Last edited by kenmac; 05-18-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,784

Hope its only a 20,000 BTU appliance, with that length.
Or else a med, or high pressure gas line.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-27-2012)
Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #6

Actually, the heater is 30,000 BTU input with 80% eff. output. Higher pressure needed?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 912

Beenthere must have looked it up in the sizing tables 4U. Personally I would use 1" otherwise you will need higher pressure and another stepdown pressure regulator at the shop. If the copper gets any bit of a kink it will reduce in size and if scaling is a problem then it is not recommended. With 1" you have some safety margin and room for expansion later.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-27-2012)
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,784

" cooper gas a 45,000 BTU rating at 175'.

How ever, that doesn't allow for the bends, or any roller coaster area of the copper.

1" is much better if your gas pressure is less then ".
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #9

OHHHHHH. I see a big bill coming up if I have to go to a 1" line!
Thanks to all for your input.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

My non-professional opinion is to stay away from the poly lines. Oh, sure, they seem good now, but that's what they said about poly waterlines 20 years ago. Anybody in the HVAC business for some time will also remember the grey Hart and Cooley PVC furnace vent pipes which had to be replaced with externally vented, dual wall, metal pipes.

Let someone else be the guinea pig for the pipe manufacturers!
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
HVAC / Plumbing

Most gas utilities in my area have been using this http://www.teecoproducts.com/catalog/F1.htm For years..
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
HVAC / Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captflx View Post
OHHHHHH. I see a big bill coming up if I have to go to a 1" line!
Thanks to all for your input.

Don't know what kind of 3/4 copper he intends to use.. The 3/4 black pipe will be 3/4 I. D. The copper could be 3/4 O.D.which would be 1/2 I. D. Just depends on the copper he uses
Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
In my state [New Jersey] you need to be a licensed plumber to do gas lines. Or the homeowner. If it's above ground, I can file the permit as an exempt contractor, and if the town ok's it, I can do it. But the town has say-so.

Late post, just to clarify some things said in this thread in case others use it for reference.
Correction note: In New Jersey, any person can install gas pipe. No license, certification or otherwise is needed.
But to connect the piping to the gas source (such as gas company meter), or to connect any gas appliance (such as furnace, water heater, stove, etc.) to the piping, you need to be a Licensed Master Plumber, or be the home owner.

Also, using plain black pipe outside is not recommended because it will rust. Either coat the pipe after installation with galvanized paint, or using galvanized piping instead of black. Painting will most likely be cheaper, but you need to make sure every bit of the black pipe is completely coated with the paint.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with poly gas pipe. Short of a manufacturer defect, it is the best way to go. Currently it is estimated to last 100 years in some brands.
The water pipe issue was due to the chlorine added to the water "eating away" at the plastic water pipe causing a toxic mixture in the water. Gas lines do not have chlorine and only small amounts of water, so this is not an issue.

Last edited by DonCorneo; 06-11-2010 at 03:26 PM.
DonCorneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 32

from zoro.com it is cheap also available from amazon.com
G1054855 Underground Natural and LP Gas Tubing and Fittings Gas Tubing, Yellow, 1.05 In OD, 150 Ft $101.40

the problem are the darn fittings. I spent a few hours trying to get them. continental makes some and there are other companies as well. hard as hell trying to find someone locally or online that sells t hem.

$24 for a coupler, $45 for a male adapter, $24 for coupling tool. I've got $175 in adapters just to connect this pipe from one end to the other!
rollandelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
REP

Rewards Points: 500

When did poly come into gas puiping.I retired 10 years ago and before that I use flexable stainless with a yellow poly coating.The gas never saw the ploy,it was just a coating like electrical insulation on coppeer wire.The Stainless is better than black iron or copper as far as strength and lasting ability goes.

Advertisement

REP is offline   Reply With Quote