Unclogging HVAC Line At The Plenum - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
tam

Rewards Points: 10

Unclogging HVAC line at the plenum

OK, I'm new at this, but am trying to avoid a call to the AC guy that my husband thinks I should make. Our upstairs AC line appears to be clogged between the plenum and the drain. The water is dripping into the overflow. We ran a snake into the drain at the overflow, and that section is not clogged. Can we safely access the drain at the plenum and unclog this ourselves without damaging the plenum or drain? A quick response would be great, or I have to call for service! Thanks.

Advertisement

tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam View Post
OK, I'm new at this, but am trying to avoid a call to the AC guy that my husband thinks I should make. Our upstairs AC line appears to be clogged between the plenum and the drain. The water is dripping into the overflow. We ran a snake into the drain at the overflow, and that section is not clogged. Can we safely access the drain at the plenum and unclog this ourselves without damaging the plenum or drain? A quick response would be great, or I have to call for service! Thanks.
You can use compressed air from the inside drain access at the plenum to force out the clog. Or you can configure a wetvac to vacuum from the outside drain access. You could also try the wetvac from the drain access at the plenum as well.

Advertisement

Last edited by mjbxx; 05-04-2009 at 05:28 PM.
mjbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
tam

Rewards Points: 10

What do you mean by "inside" when you reference the "inside drain access?" And how complicatede is it to open the drain access at the plenum?
tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

There should be a big panel with screws, unscrew it and look in where the drain goes in and clean away any dirt or debris blocking the drain line pour water in there to be sure its unclogged or go downstairs where the drain line ends and try back blowing air back wards to free up the clog.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

if you remove the panels on both sides of the fan you should be inview of the condenseate pan under the evap coil.where the plastic white condensate line comes out ids the blocked point....reach in to the pan area and you should be able to wiggle your index finger in the outlet hole.take a old piece of garden hose with a wet rag wrapped on the end of it put it over the hole and and blow on the other end.cycle some water into the pan to flush the trap out.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote