Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #1

Share |

unbalanced cooling

My wife and I own a 1983 Wyck doublewide on a permanent block foundation. The natural gas furnace/ac unit inside is a Carrier, model #27MH120101, coupled to a Ducane outside unit, model AC10B48A. We have had problems with the cooling, as on a 95degreeF summer day inside temperature will not drop below 80degreesF. Vent airflow from end of house opposite evaporator coil isn't nearly as good as other end of house. I have checked all ductwork under the house for air leaks, and cannot feel anything. The ductwork is showing signs of condensation on opposite end of house through the covering (drips). I also pushed up on the vent directly under the evap. coil to see if the seal was tight and received what felt like a 110 volt shock. I found nothing putting one probe of my voltmeter to the ductwork and the negative probe in the ground hole of a power socket. I suppose I am asking if it is time to replace my heating/ac unit and, if so, would extensive re-insulating of the floor ducts be necessary, as I fear? I have pulled my hair out trying to come up with some answers. Any ideas?

eric woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #2

unbalanced cooling

I wasn't thorough enough in my last post: Ducane unit was installed 7 years ago by the previous owners because of lightning damage. The ac was recharged two years ago, 1 pound added. On hot summer days the compressor and inside fan run continuously and only shut off for short periods late at night. Our power bill during the summer has exceeded $400.00 per month.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

unbalanced cooling

and the question is.................................
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

unbalanced cooling

still no question......................
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

unbalanced cooling

I think that coil is only good for 3.5 tons.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
eric woodall (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #6

unbalanced cooling

I suppose my question is whether anyone out there has had these problems with mobile home-type square ducting under the floor. I am wondering if I will be okay with re-insulating the floor ducting and installing a new furnace/ac unit, or whether I should install a new unit or heat pump and tear up the ceiling to install ceiling vents. The only thing that makes any sense to me about the inside temperature dropping only 20 degrees on a hot summer day is the evaporator coil is partially clogged in the fins, although I disassembled the cover and sprayed it with coil cleaner.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

unbalanced cooling

May need more then one cleaning.

MH/Modular systems are not always as good as they should be.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
eric woodall (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #8

unbalanced cooling

I am anticipating having to run new vents if we have to have a new ac/heater system . I am sure the insulation on the underfloor vents is gone or fallen off as condensation drips from the undercovering. I have read that re-insulating by adding wall stud-type paper-backed fiberglass insulation between the joists under the sheet metal vent can lead to serious mold problems. I suspect the entire vent assembly would have to come out on each side of the marriage joint and be rewrapped with foil-type insulation or insulating boards and foil tape. That's why I wonder if it would be better to install ceiling vents, although I have also read that ceiling vents also run through very heated air in the above-ceiling space. Also, the only recirculation feature in the house is a single opening on the ac in-house half of the unit, which is where the air filter is. I can't decide which would be a better long-term solution. There is plenty of insulation in the walls, and we have energy-efficient windows. So I am back at the second question: which is better, in floor or ceiling vents?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #9

unbalanced cooling

both will work..... all in floor here.....

The Following User Says Thank You to carmon For This Useful Post:
eric woodall (01-02-2013)