Two Stage Electric Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Two Stage Electric Furnace

While trying to track down a problem with our electric furnace (intermittent tripping of the breaker), another question came to me.

I found the amperage going through the breaker is about 80-85A, whether I'm trying to increase the temp by 0.5 deg or 5 deg.

I "believe" it's a two-stage furnace because of what the building inspector told me and because of the thermostat wiring but it seems to me that there would be a difference in current depending on what stage it's running at?

Does it typically take a while for the second stage to kick in?

Thanks

Advertisement

burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

It would probably be helpful for you to post the Manufacturer name, make and model of your furnace. This should help more knowledgeable people here to help you .

Advertisement

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #3

The air handler is an american standard TWE036xxxxxxxx

The heater model (Trane) was never marked on the information sticker on the front. I had the front panel apart and on one of the wiring diagrams, it had "BAYHTR1419+++" printed. This corresponds to one of the heaters marked on the sticker.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

The whole model number of the air handler would help.

But no matter. Your unit is running all stages of heat if its drawing 80 to 85 amp.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #5

Sorry, didn't realize the whole SN would be pertinent

TWE036C140B0

Hmm, wonder if the thermo is wired incorrectly....

Have a Honeywell RTH7000 installed. Installed when we first moved in as the old thermo (two vials of mercury) didn't seem to be working property (would have to set it at about 23deg C to obtain a 20deg C temperature inside).

Have two bundles of wires coming through at thermostat, only one was connected to old thermostat so that's what I hooked up, as follows:

green wire to G
yellow wire to Y
white wire to W
red wire to R
black wire to W2
RC jumpered to R

The second bundle of wires has the same colored wires (G, Y, W, R, etc) but was not connected. The home used to have a heat pump at one time but was replaced with an air conditioner in the past. I assume that's what the extra wires are for?

If the thermostat is wired correctly, what else could be causing only a single stage to be running?

Thanks again

Last edited by burnt03; 01-12-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Might not be wired up for staging in the air handler.
Your air handler is capable of moving 1400 CFM.

And if anybody still has a Heat pump that will match to that air handler. You should get it installed. And save your self a lot of money on heating.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #7

I popped off the cover of the air handler and found the wires from the thermostat and it looks like you're right, the black wire coming from W2 (which I think is supposed to be for second stage heat) is not hooked up to anything.

Is there an easy way I can tell if the air handler is capable of two stage heating (and just not hooked up for some reason) or is it time to call in a tech
Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Do you see a W and a W2 terminal.

if so, are they jumpered together.
If so. Remove the jumper, and connect the stats W2 to the air handlers W2.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #9

There's nothing in the air handler labeled as W1 or W2. The control wires from the thermostat eventually end up as pictured though (among other places, they split too), connecting to this brown block.

It looks as though the white wire (W1 from the thermo) comes in and is jumpered to the terminal on the top left corner of the block.

I could try connecting the W2 from the thermo to that point on the block, but I'm sort of hesitant. Wondering why they didn't do that to start with and also, what's the worst that could happen if it's wrong?

Thanks for all the help so far
Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Jumpering it probably won't help. Since that jumper is probably powering the other side.

You might want to look at the wiring diagram.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

unless the units capable of 2 stage heating (most arent) typically found in high seer models your chaseing your tail. likely they put in a strait a/c because A:it was cheaper or B: someone was a dumbazz and didnt realise it untill they showed up with the wrong unit and had already taken it out of the box making it real hard to return for the correct one. At that point the owner probably said just put it in im selling it anyways. A savvy tech could split up the heating elements and convert it to 2 stage, id figure around 300- 500 for that but as beenthere said if you plan on living there for a while youd be better off trying to sell your current unit on craigslist and install a heatpump unless the thought of being faced with 500 to 750 per month elec bills dosent phase you

Advertisement

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote