Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

two section condensate tanks

I have a old (1950) upper and lower tank with 2 pumps. both pumps have floats in both sections. # 1 runs and pumps into the top section but not to the boiler. when the top section fills up that float tells the pump to start (or keep running) so the pump winds up running all the time. # 2 works OK and although it seems to empty the top section into the boiler it takes water from the bottom of the tank. there is a large valve on the discharge of the pumps to divert the water either to the boiler or the top section which is probably not working right on pump #1. The boiler has it's own make up. No make up on the tank.
Question+ can I re pipe from the pump discharge and bypass the valve that diverts water to the upper section and go direct to the boiler. this would be doing away with the upper section of the tank which I see no reason for anyway. The openings in the tank from the valve removal would be blocked off with steel plates.

nice n easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,944

Post pic of tank.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

Thanks Beenthere, I have learned a lot since my post. The pumps pull condensate off the top section only.The crazy looking valve in photo 2 somehow diverts water into the bottom to agitate and de-aerate the water. I have not found a reason for the floats in the bottom section. The float says the bottom is full and starts the pumps but if the top section is empty it can't get any water to pump and runs dry. At this point I have bypassed the bottom floats ,when enough condensate returns to fill the top section the pump starts and I shut it off before pumping the top section runs dry.Seems to fill the boiler ok I just lost the de-aerator benefit if there ever was one. I hope the pic's are ok I' new at this. Thanks again for the interest in my problem.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,944

Sorry, can tell you what is going on with it. its possible, that the float for the top, is suppose to turn off teh circ when the tank gets too low. And that the switch for that is burnt closed.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,002

I believe that is a vacuum type condensate system and in order for it to work properly you must use both tanks. Vacuum in top tank and then it goes to lower tank for condensate return to the boiler. DO you have any info on the tank system? Model numbers or anything up by the switch panel above the tanks?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #6

It is a float and/or vacuum system. Bell and Gossett made the control panel but not the tank system. No info on tank. Too many air leaks to run vacuum and really impossible when the system cools down. I know what u are saying but the pumps only pump from the top part of the tank. even when the bottom is full and the float switch makes and the pump starts I get no water unless the top section has water in it. I pulled a plug out of the pump discharge just to prove it to myself---no water. I really can't figure why they even have lower floats