DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Two questions (fraggle gets a new boiler)

651 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 · (Edited)
I am the author of this thread: violent explosion

Today I witnessed the entire process of boiler replacement and chimney liner install. The job was slightly under 5k, and I live in Long Island, NY. I have two questions.

1. Is there anything I should do to properly "burn-in" the new boiler?
2. What is the customary remuneration, if any, if the old boiler as it was being hauled away was inadvertently dropped causing two noticeable dents in my hardwood flooring?

For anyone interested, my observations were:
1. Replacing a boiler is really hard and messy work. There's a ton of pushing and pulling, and pain-in-the-butt short sections of pipe that need to be spun off.
2. You can cut an iron pipe with a saw! Wow!
3. Things that would have taken me several days (like figuring how to dismantle something) takes an experienced professional a few seconds.

Before and after pictures follow:

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice looking job and not a bad boiler.

Usually companies try use painters drop sheets to prevent damage. Talk to the owner or service manager and see if he will send someone to fix the flooring or compensate you.

#6 · (Edited)
Not a bad looking job. Nice straight lines to boot.

Yes boilers can be a lot of work. (try dealing with them at +10-30x the size... Lol)

As for the "burn in" don't worry about it. If there was anything special, the installers would have done that on the startup. Generally these days, they are more or less plug and play. (older boiler's used firebrick that had to be fired for a bit first. Makes lots of smoke. Designs have changed though)

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.