Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #1

Share |

Two heating systems, looking for one thermostat. Need help.

Hi there.

I am rehabbing a property right now and am eventually going to install a two zone forced hot water system. The house is a standard colonial with two floors.

Floor one will be zone 1 floor two will be zone 2. This is straightforward... so I should have a thermostat on the first floor and one on the second. I get this. My issue is with zone 1 on the first floor. So ignore zone 2 for now.

The question I have is... I am planning on installing a pellet stove on the first floor and would like for this to be the primary heat source for the first floor. The pellet stove I have is a modern one with a thermostat control on it. In a previous house I just had two thermostats (one for the force hot water system set to a low temp like 65 deg and one for the pellet stove set to 70 deg). What this did was basically allow the pellet stove thermostat to control the temp in the 1st floor at 70 all day and then if I ever ran out of pellets the oil heat would kick in at 65.

I really liked this setup and would like to replicate this with one thermostat.

So my question is... Is there a dual system thermostat that will set a program for two heating systems simultaneously in this manner?

Really what I am trying to avoid is having two thermostats mounted on the same wall. I would just prefer to have one thermostat that is smart enough.

Maybe this is a bit picky but just was curious if anyone knew of a thermostat that can accomplish this.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

CdoubleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Experienced

Two heating systems, looking for one thermostat. Need help.

I don't know about a thermostat to accomplish that, but a Honeywell UDC 2000 would do the job, of course there would be some wiring involved that you would have to figure out, it would get a bit more complex if there is AC involved as well, but it is possible.

I know you can pick up a UDC controller on ebay for <$100.

Mark