Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

Share |

Two heaters, one vent pipe?

I have an Empire natural gas fired room heater that is in a room adjacent to my garage. The vent pipe for the heater goes out horizontally through the wall into the garage then goes up through the garage ceiling and eventually through the roof.

I am interested in adding a natural ages fired heater to the garage and am wondering if I can tie into the same vent so that I do not have to put another hole in the roof.

Looking at a ceiling mounted, forced air, gas heater, but would love to hear if anyone has better ideas. Thanks in advance, Matt

Thanks

fullermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #2

Most of those heaters are power vented and require a vent of their own. Many can be wall vented, if that helps.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullermatt View Post
I have an Empire natural gas fired room heater that is in a room adjacent to my garage. The vent pipe for the heater goes out horizontally through the wall into the garage then goes up through the garage ceiling and eventually through the roof.

I am interested in adding a natural ages fired heater to the garage and am wondering if I can tie into the same vent so that I do not have to put another hole in the roof.

Looking at a ceiling mounted, forced air, gas heater, but would love to hear if anyone has better ideas. Thanks in advance, Matt

Thanks
need to know the size of existing flue pipe...the btus of both heaters and some pictures would help so we can see what you have and if its possible to vent both in same flue or if you need to enlarge pipe...ben sr...iam assuming there both draft hood appliances
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #4

The pipe is a Type B vent, about 4.5 in in diameter.

Here are some pics of the heater and the vent. I have looked at the manual for the Empire (dated 1969) heater but cannot tell what the BTU is. The garage heater I was looking at is 50,000 BTU and is here....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7749_200577749

I suspect there is no way to tie in another heater into a type b vent, but thought it was worth asking.
Attached Thumbnails
Two heaters, one vent pipe?-image-2438016483.jpg   Two heaters, one vent pipe?-image-1488047358.jpg  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullermatt View Post
The pipe is a Type B vent, about 4.5 in in diameter.

Here are some pics of the heater and the vent. I have looked at the manual for the Empire (dated 1969) heater but cannot tell what the BTU is. The garage heater I was looking at is 50,000 BTU and is here....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7749_200577749

I suspect there is no way to tie in another heater into a type b vent, but thought it was worth asking.
with out really knowing total btus its hard to say ...but I really feel that if you were to attempt this...where they join togeother it would have to go to 5" up through roof..ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

Because of the power venting it will need it's own vent. If you vented it into the existing pipe (if at all possible) it would and could push the gases down into the esisting heater and into the room atmosphere.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #7

power vented and natural draft vented together all the time.... i dont like the chances on this one though....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

Common Venting of Gas Appliances | January 2011 Inspector eNews

See if this helps you at all.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

You'll need to know the BTU total of both units, and then determine if your current B vent is big enough. If it is big enough, you will also need to determine if you can hang the new heater high enough for code, and still put a tee into the current B vent high enough that the flue pipe slopes upward toward the tee.

While code allows what you ant to do. Be careful, since it could still exhaust fumes into your home when the garage heater first starts until the B vent warms up. I personally recommend against what you want to do because its too easy to have CO come out of your space heater in the home while your using the garage heater. And if someone else is in the home, or even when you come back into the home, you could suffer CO poisoning in a very short period of time, and die or become very ill.

That garage heater is approved for horizontal venting, and it would be safer for everyone in the home if you sidewall vented it.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #10

I agree with Beenthere 100% ...please listen to him he knows his stuff and is again correct.....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carmon For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-29-2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to go with a ventless wall mount for now. I don't need it to run all the time, just when I am working on something. The ventless should be able to get plenty of fresh air since my garage is not air tight. Thanks again.

The Following User Says Thank You to fullermatt For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-01-2013)