Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
turning on heat in addition

Hello all,
I apologize for the lack of details here but I am feeling a little clueless. If there are further details that would assist just let me know. The situation is that I had a new home built a little more than a year ago. When built we left a room above the attached garage unfinished. There is ductwork into this room which runs through a space that will remain unfinished (ductwork is insulated ). However no heat goes into this room so somehow the heat has been blocked/turned off. Our original gc tells me to call his HVAC contractor whom I have yet to hear back from. Is anyone aware of a standard method of stopping the heated air from flowing into this room?

I am looking to finish this space now and I would like to turn on the heat. The system is natural gas forced air with furnace located in the basement. The above mentioned ductwork is some type of solid foam board wrapped with fiberglass batts. Any thoughts?

rjwswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwswim View Post
Hello all,
I apologize for the lack of details here but I am feeling a little clueless. If there are further details that would assist just let me know. The situation is that I had a new home built a little more than a year ago. When built we left a room above the attached garage unfinished. There is ductwork into this room which runs through a space that will remain unfinished (ductwork is insulated ). However no heat goes into this room so somehow the heat has been blocked/turned off. Our original gc tells me to call his HVAC contractor whom I have yet to hear back from. Is anyone aware of a standard method of stopping the heated air from flowing into this room?

I am looking to finish this space now and I would like to turn on the heat. The system is natural gas forced air with furnace located in the basement. The above mentioned ductwork is some type of solid foam board wrapped with fiberglass batts. Any thoughts?
i think a couple pictures would help......

dosy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #3

Alright so I was able to review in a bit more detail and found where the ductwork leaves the basement. Unfortunately, the ductwork was hidden by the insulation over the sill beam and there are numerous elements in front of it now, water pipes, central vac, etc. I think I will probably need to keep after the HVAC contractor to get a reasonable solution here.

In the attached (sorry for the poor quality), the silver piece that you can see where the batt insulation is pulled back is the blocked ductwork for both supply and return. The white pipe is central vac which I assume will need to be rerouted, the rafter runs basically perpendicular to the ductwork. The space between the top of the wall and the rafter is only about 6 inches, so my concern is how to connect a large enough duct to provide sufficient air flow? Any thoughts would be appreciated but I suspected I will need to at least get the HVAC contractor to speak with me for a bit, I would hope that he has some solution in mind.

Thanks,
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
turning on heat in addition-c360_2012-02-10-17-08-09-1.jpg  
rjwswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 30

Where is the nearest trunkline to tie it in to?