Turning The Furnace Off During The Day, What Is Your Take On This? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Turning the furnace off during the day, what is your take on this?

I read in another forum where there are people who turn off their furnace during the day and only put it back on in the evening. Does this save money or actually cost more?

Thx.

Advertisement

frankie3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Living in MA I'd never shut mine off
Turn it down, Yes - but not off

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Yes with a furnace. Not with a heat pump. Get a thermostat with smart recovery it will learn your home and automaticly know when to turn on to be at you set temp at the set time.

Missed that. As Suba dave says not off only down. Unless you live were it doesent below freezing

Last edited by JohnH1; 01-21-2009 at 10:11 PM.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

Turning it off requires the furnace to run longer to heat the house. I say turn it down.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Not a pro here but think about it. Your furnace would have to reheat your entire house and all that is in it over and over on a daily basis. I can say with confidence that it would cost you more taking this approach. You also have to make sure that your water pipes don't freeze over as well. You could always turn the thermostat down to say 60 degrees while you are away and turn it up when you return. Even doing this would probably not save you much or anything in the long run.
mjbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

We installed a basic Hunter stat with battery backup years ago and program it to cut back at nite, kick in half an hour before we get up. Although the stat is mediocre compared to today's the results are HUGE. Same with while we're at work and school. Its saves a bundle.In the summer we run the furnace fan and not the AC until the humidity gets real high.

Next week my new furnace arrives and I expect to save at least another 20% with the Variable speed and high efficiency and a high end stat.
Think about it, you don't let your grill run for 1/2 an hour before you cook burgers. Why heat an empty house? Just kick back 10 or 12 degrees whn you're not there
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
Fixer of all things Broke

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to LaHandyman

My house is automated for the most part and I have a 5-2 day programable thermalstat . It is set to turn the heat down to 60 during the day and back up to 68 at around 5pm. At around 10pm it drops down to 66 and back up to 67 at 6am and at 8pm back down to 60. The week ends are set different. This and a few other things in the house that are automatic save me a bundle on the light bill. I have a 2 story house with 1500sf and a light bill of 89.00 to 130.00 year around. I have electric heater, electric water heater, electric dryer, and gas stove. I say all this to say I think it helps.
LaHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbxx View Post
Not a pro here but think about it. Your furnace would have to reheat your entire house and all that is in it over and over on a daily basis. I can say with confidence that it would cost you more taking this approach.
It wouldn't cost more if he's gone for 8 or more hours.

I've done this for a couple years.
If your gone for 8 plus hours, it will save.
It does take a long time to reheat the house, but not more fuel, if you have gas or oil heat.

Last edited by beenthere; 01-22-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Spelling.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 254

Depends all on where you live, how tight the house is, how much insulation, etc.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

That extreme version of thermostat setback comes with some risk. I can imagine a scenario where you are in a car accident on your way home to turn on the furnace, and you end up in the hospital for two of the coldest days of the year. Meanwhile your pipes burst costing you thousands. And all this just to save a few bucks in heating.

Get a programmable thermostat to do that for you, and experiment to see how far back saves you how much. If this is a heat pump then setting too far back will cost more.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Learning by Doing

We have oil-fired single-pipe steam heat in our brick house. The radiators have VERY quick recovery. By lowering fuel oil consumption we most certainly save money and do not sacrifice comfort when it matters.

Here's how we set our smart thermostat: weekdays
68 by 8:30am - I hate being cold in the AM,
64 from 9:00am to 5:00pm - house is empty or I'm working up a sweat,
67 from 5:00pm to 10:00pm,
60 overnight - DH and I both like it cool to sleep. Average winter nights the temp at 4am does not drop below 62.

Unless it is really cold and windy our boiler may only fire for a total of 5 hours during any 24. It was in the teens last night and I know the heat did kick on once.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 866

Make sure you get the chimney properly cleaned and inspected yearly. Small possibility if it gets REAL cold in the off cycle that moisture may condense in there and cause a problem. Expansion and contraction of everything in the house due to large temp swings is not a good idea in my books. It may even be hard on windows etc and contribute to premature failure. Dac122 story is one I have experienced. Had a house where the temporary caretaker got sick and did not assign another one. Heat went off/blew the top out of the water meter and flooded the basement. Real ugly.

Last edited by yuri; 01-22-2009 at 05:39 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,718

[quote=dac122;217291]That extreme version of thermostat setback comes with some risk. I can imagine a scenario where you are in a car accident on your way home to turn on the furnace, and you end up in the hospital for two of the coldest days of the year. Meanwhile your pipes burst costing you thousands. And all this just to save a few bucks in heating.

quote]

If nobody visits you. Yea that would be possible.

On that that note.
You should never go away for the weekend during the winter.
If the furance stops working, you wouldn't be there to know it, and the pipes could freeze.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #14

We had our downstairs neighbor at an Apt (1st floor of house) go away & turn the heat off. Pipes froze & burst all over the place
It was thousands of dollars to fix everything & they lost their place to live
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

You would use more fuel, and wear the unit out by causing to work harder to reheat the space every time it is turned back on. Best thing to do, is set for a comfortable level when home, then lower to a reasonable level for sleeping, then lower when gone for the day.

We have ours set to kick up to 66 @ 6am, then back down to 62 @ 7:45, then up to 67 @ 4:15, then down to 62 @ 9:45. Only difference is on weekends when we sleep in. The next couple of days, I can see that I may be adjusting down to 66 during evenings, due to warmer days ahead for the next 3 days.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote