Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #1

Share |

Turning down furnace burners?

Hi All.

I have a Carrier furnace, 1985, model #58SSB080-BC. It appears to have an electronic ignition.

I feel like the outlet pressure is too high. It makes quite a roar when it comes on and my heating bills are $200 per month. I feel like there is a lot of waste heat going up the flue which is not captured by the heat exchanger.

My question is can the gas pressure be turned down?

The furnace has a valve which allows the inlet and outlet pressure to be adjusted. It has min and max pressures printed on the label. It also has a high and low setting of some sort.

Or, what about restricting the flow via the shutoff valve on the gas line?

Thanks.

Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Repeat after me "I WILL NOT DO IT MYSELF." After that is said and done, call the furnace guy.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #3

I did some reading on the Carrier webpage and it looks like only a small adjustment can be made with the valve screws. Larger adjustments would require burners with a smaller orifice.

Could you be more specific about what the issues are here? I'm a mechanical engineer so I may be able to understand. Just trying to be educated on the topic before I call in the pros.

Thanks.
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #4

Adjusting the gas pressure below recommended settings can lead to delayed ignition or incomplete carryover between the burners on startup. This will result in a mild explosion or booming sound coming from the furnace. Another issue you may have is a stack temperature that is not warm enough. Problems caused by this are lack of draft and / or byproducts of combustion condensing to liquid before the gas is exhausted. One byproduct of combustion is a mild form of hydrochloric acid which can lead to premature failure of flue pipe or heat exchanger. I would not recommend adjusting the gas pressure or derating the furnace with orifice change as either can cause a problem.
shortyshvac.com is offline   Reply With Quote