Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Share |

Troubleshooting a digital thermostat

I was having some trouble with an old digital thermostat so I replaced it with a new Honeywell programmable. I followed all installation instructions, and initially the new thermostat seemed to be working fine, but now it seems as if the thermostat is not controlling the heat in the zone. The baseboards in the zone controlled by the thermostat are constantly pumping out heat, even when I turn off the thermostat. Any suggestions for a fix would be greatly appreciated.
Cbots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
how

It could be a faulty thermostat.. disconnect the thermostat to see if the overheating zone shuts of.
or
The thermostat wires may be crossed and bared somewhere between the stat and the boiler

But probably the
the zone valve may be stuck open. Try turning off the power to the boiler to see if the zone valve manually closes again. Compare the manual operating levers of the zone valves with the problem one. This alone may unfreeze it but is only temporary and the motor will eventually do it again.

Last edited by how; 03-24-2013 at 10:51 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-25-2013), hvactech126 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

You didn't say what the issues were with the original thermostat so I will assume those issues had nothing to do with the zone overheating.

Always start with the very last thing that was done. Check the wires connecting to the thermostat to make sure none are touching or being pinched over the top of one another.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

is it wires to a zone panel, or a zone valve? As above, what was the old thermostat doing that you changed it out.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
registered

When installing a new thermostat your best is to go with one which matches your zone values. Example i have white rogers zone n flow values and white rogers thermostat to control. There not digital either.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote