Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

Share |

Trouble heating house w/ Carrier Weathermaker Infinity

Searching for some help has let me to this forum, which seems to be very beneficial to its members. Here's a quick background about me since this is my first post. Im a first time homebuyer for 10 months, and an avid DIY'er. I have done a lot in the automotive field from general repairs to performance builds. This is the first i've touched into HVAC. SO here is my problem.

I have a Carrier weathermaker infinity furnace. It appears to be 6-7 years old. I just reciently replaced the filter, but previous to that, the furnace will no longer heat the home to what the thermostat is set to. Furthermore i hear a loud bang (possibly a backfire?) coming from the register area. This loud bang has only happened twice, at no particular time.

I did the diagnosing test that is shown on the inside panel, which shows all systems normal.

I shut the furnace off last night because my g/f was afraid of the furnace exploding. When i woke up this morning, it was 51 degrees at 8:30 am, its now 3:40, and with the thermostat set at 72 the current temperature shows 66 degrees, which has fluxuated from 66-64 the last 3 hours.

As for some questions you may ask:
1: The fan is running
2: There is warm air coming from the registers
3: The burners are burning (forgive my lack of terminology)

I've done some research, and from what i've seen, its possible the secondary heat extractors could be in need of replacement, which is something im not looking forward to.

If anyone has some insight, advice please let me know.

Thanks from minnesota

adam_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

What is the fuel source for this system?

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
What is the fuel source for this system?
Natural Gas.

Model number is 58 MVP if that helps
adam_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote