Tripped Breaker - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

tripped breaker

Well I've just joined this site a few days ago and my timing couldn't have been better.
Today when I got home the thermostat was calling for heat but the furnace was off. On inspection I discovered the breaker had tripped. This is the first time this has happened in 15 years.Reset breaker and all is ok now. Cycled heat a few times and can't get it to trip again.I suspect the main culprit is probably the 3/4 HP blower motor.Since I'm about to go on vacation for a week I don't want this to happen when I'm gone.Gets cold here in Canada.
Would I be better off leaving fan run continuosly in manual while I'm away.I say this because I think the start up would draw the most amps.
Anyway can a tech determine if the motor or capacitor needs replacing if it doesn't fail while he's here.
Thanks for your advice.

Advertisement

rookie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

tripped breaker

You need to get the amp draw on start upo and running on that motor.

Advertisement

acefurnacefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #3

tripped breaker

Ok problem solved. Thanks Ace.
Blower motor drawing about 18A on startup and running around 10A after.
Capacitor measured 6 M/uf should be 10+/- 10%. Put in new Cap now blower start up at 10A running at 6.5 A.
This should stop braeker tripping. I didn't know the Cap would make a difference once motor was running I thouht it was just to kick start it initially.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

tripped breaker

Hi rookie50

That is a common misconception about run capacitors. All a run capacitor does is causes a phase imbalance allowing the motor to start in the proper direction. Let me explain a little, the run and start windings in a motor are on the same phase or leg however you want to put it. However do not confuse this they are two seperate windings. The capacitor absorbes voltage in your case for 10 milliseconds allowing the motor to get going before the run and start windings balanced phase again. Hope this is not as clear as mud for you, but this is why run capacitors are so important on a capcitor run motor.

Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #5

tripped breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by #CARRIERMAN View Post
Hi rookie50

That is a common misconception about run capacitors. All a run capacitor does is causes a phase imbalance allowing the motor to start in the proper direction. Let me explain a little, the run and start windings in a motor are on the same phase or leg however you want to put it. However do not confuse this they are two seperate windings. The capacitor absorbes voltage in your case for 10 milliseconds allowing the motor to get going before the run and start windings balanced phase again. Hope this is not as clear as mud for you, but this is why run capacitors are so important on a capcitor run motor.

Rusty
Thanks Rusty makes sense. But I still don't understand why the motor draws less Amps when running after startup with the newer capacitor.In other words what does a capacitor thats putting out 10 m/uf doing that one putting out 6 m/uf doesn't during normal run operation?Like I said now that the new cap is in the motor draws 6.2A vs 10.5 with the old cap. Thanks Peter
Old 11-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

tripped breaker

Hi rookie50

The reason for the amp draw is due to the fact that with the wrong capacitance the windings do not equalize for lack of a better word. What I was trying to say in the other response is that it does not throw a jolt of electricity like a start it works more like a shock absorber and dampens the run winding so the start windings can get the motor running. Hope this helps.

Rusty
Old 11-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #7

tripped breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by #CARRIERMAN View Post
Hi rookie50

The reason for the amp draw is due to the fact that with the wrong capacitance the windings do not equalize for lack of a better word. What I was trying to say in the other response is that it does not throw a jolt of electricity like a start it works more like a shock absorber and dampens the run winding so the start windings can get the motor running. Hope this helps.

Rusty
Ok I think I got it, the correct capacitance will keep the correct equalibrium for as long as the motor runs. Is that close to right?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

tripped breaker

Hi rookie50

The guys that design motors would be mad at us for saying this. Thats about all there is too it. I think you've got it.

Rusty

Advertisement