Transformer And Circuit Brd In Gas Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

transformer and circuit brd in gas furnace

Payne 376C downflow model furnace... Units heats in response to thermostat commands but blower won't come on. If I bypass the circuit board with jumpers the blower works fine. HVAC guy came out and said board and transformer were fried due to power surge. Repair costs $500.

I wasn't home when he was here so I didn't get to ask: "If the transformer is fried why would the thermostat still make the heat come on?" Am I on the right track? I can get a replacement board for $75.

Advertisement

gulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I would suspect a bad blower relay on the circuit board. If the heat fires the transformer is good. Would be a little suspect of your serviceman as well.

Advertisement

SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #3

I took out the circuit board and noticed a bad solder on the back under what might be the relay. I'm going to try to re-solder it and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll have to buy a non-refundable circuit board.

Darn right I'm suspicious of the serviceman, and it's a shame a guy has to be. I'd be grateful for any other advice/info anyone wants to post here. MANY thanks.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #4

Here's how it played out in the end...

Went back in attic, removed circuit board and found a bad solder on a relay. Re-soldered it, reinstalled and Bob's your uncle, everything works just fine. Later I found the circuit board online for $75.

Advice here kept me from being ripped off for at least $500. Thanks to all.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 350

That price he gave you is a fair price for a circuit board and transformer.
It costs a lot of money to put a $30,000.00 truck in your driveway (truck, tools,parts) with a trained technician, liability insurance, workers comp insurance, health insurance, just to name a scant few of the costs involved. The price he gave you is average for our area.

Transformer-He might have been pre-empting a future service call by replacing the tranformer if he suspected a power surge has weakened the tranformer-even though I personally would not have replaced it, if it was working
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #6

It's a fair price if the diagnosis is correct/truthful. If he thought the transformer was 'weakened' and might fail later he should have said so. He said circuit board and transformer were fried, kaput, non-functional. I have no problems paying my neighbors for good and honest service.

Advertisement