Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Transfer ducts rock!!!

Two story house with three bedrooms up stairs. The kids bedrooms share a Jack and j\Jill bathroom with a sperate water closet. Bedroom doors are undercut by 3/4 inch. Static pressure in the two rooms, with the doors closed was close to 0.12 iwc. With the doors closed, these rooms ran hot by 3 to 5 degrees and air could be felt moving out through the bathroom fan!!!

So I added transfer ducts!!!

I put a register in the wall to the bathroom from each room. Then I put two registers from the bathroom to the open area that serves as the return path that is sort of a hallway/balcony. This is where all the air in the house flows to the returns. All the transfer registers were installed so that they ran under the counter in the bathroom and are unobtrusive. I fitted small ducts inside the walls, so that air would not enter the walls. Tape and mastic were used to seal these ducts.

Each of the rooms gets about 100cfm from the supplies, with the doors open. The supply cfm with the doors closed was about 85 cfm. Once we had the transfer ducts in place, the supply air stayed at about 100cfm and the static pressure dropped to were the needle barely moved. The rooms are no longer running hot at night!!! I could feel the air comming out the transfer ducts that in the past would have been lost to the outside of the building by over pressurization. All told the 50 or so bucks was a great investment!!!

Last edited by bobinphx; 01-29-2012 at 07:37 AM.
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobinphx For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 82

Transfer ducts rock!!!

Very Clever and good for you.

You must be like me, wake up in the middle of the night with a great idea about transfer ducts or whatever then hop out of bed and write em down.

plummen (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Part of the Clover Leaf

Transfer ducts rock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinphx View Post
Two story house with three bedrooms up stairs. The kids bedrooms share a Jack and j\Jill bathroom with a sperate water closet. Bedroom doors are undercut by 3/4 inch. Static pressure in the two rooms, with the doors closed was close to 0.12 iwc. With the doors closed, these rooms ran hot by 3 to 5 degrees and air could be felt moving out through the bathroom fan!!!

So I added transfer ducts!!!

I put a register in the wall to the bathroom from each room. Then I put two registers from the bathroom to the open area that serves as the return path that is sort of a hallway/balcony. This is where all the air in the house flows to the returns. All the transfer registers were installed so that they ran under the counter in the bathroom and are unobtrusive. I fitted small ducts inside the walls, so that air would not enter the walls. Tape and mastic were used to seal these ducts.

Each of the rooms gets about 100cfm from the supplies, with the doors open. The supply cfm with the doors closed was about 85 cfm. Once we had the transfer ducts in place, the supply air stayed at about 100cfm and the static pressure dropped to were the needle barely moved. The rooms are no longer running hot at night!!! I could feel the air comming out the transfer ducts that in the past would have been lost to the outside of the building by over pressurization. All told the 50 or so bucks was a great investment!!!
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Part of the Clover Leaf

Transfer ducts rock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Very Clever and good for you.

You must be like me, wake up in the middle of the night with a great idea about transfer ducts or whatever then hop out of bed and write em down.

we have a lot of bungalows ...its a common practice to use stair case as CAR
Old 01-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

Transfer ducts rock!!!

what is a CAR?
can I hook up a inline duct fan to a thermosatat to move heat/air to a room only when I want it?
the room is fine 95% of the time ,but when my mom visits she wants more heat/cooling than the sytem
delivers to the room
kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #6

Transfer ducts rock!!!

where did you transfer the heat to?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

Transfer ducts rock!!!

cold air return CAR = return air duct. you can do that but it only gives her ht/cl when the furnace/ac run and those fans can be noisy. if you want a high quality non noisy one buy a Pro grade Fantech unit and you can safely slow it down with a Pro grade rheostat NOT a chandelier dimmer as those can overheat motors. 150 cfm unit is what I would use and a Rheostat.

http://fantech.net/

Last edited by yuri; 01-29-2012 at 08:12 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
kt82 (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #8

Transfer ducts rock!!!

and I can use a thermostat in the room to turn the motor on?I have electric heat
so I assume if the inline turns on it will pull air from the other rooms to heat up Mom's room
Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

Transfer ducts rock!!!

if you don't do it properly you can depressurize the house and suck air down the water heater chimney if it is inside the house or the bathroom vents or upset the balance of the ac system. I do not like or recommend inline booster fans for those reasons. if the heaters are not running then you get no heat in her room. if she just needs heat then a simple baseboard htr will do the job. for ac the fan may be useful.
kt82 (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #10

Transfer ducts rock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt82 View Post
where did you transfer the heat to?

Not sure that I understand the question, but the heated air was entering the bedrooms and with the doors closed, the air had no where to go but out the bathroom fan and any other cracks etc that I have not found (yet!!!).... so by allowing the air easily move back to the main body of the house, with the transfer ducts, the heated air was not lost to the outside world. The hard part for me to understand was if the air is leaking out of the bedrooms, why were they not cold... the answer, I think, is that the bedrooms were getting a lot more heated supply air then then needed because the air was leaking out so fast that the supply ducts were supplying way to much air... Thus the temp went up overnight in these rooms.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobinphx For This Useful Post:
kt82 (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #11

Transfer ducts rock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
if you don't do it properly you can depressurize the house and suck air down the water heater chimney if it is inside the house or the bathroom vents or upset the balance of the ac system. I do not like or recommend inline booster fans for those reasons. if the heaters are not running then you get no heat in her room. if she just needs heat then a simple baseboard htr will do the job. for ac the fan may be useful.
electric heat and hot water . thanks for the insight and idea's
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #12

Transfer ducts rock!!!

[quote=bobinphx;837816]Not sure that I understand the question, but the heated air was entering the bedrooms and with the doors closed, the air

so there are no return registers in the bedrooms?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Part of the Clover Leaf

Transfer ducts rock!!!

the home was over insulated and trapping heat.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #14

Transfer ducts rock!!!

[quote=kt82;837822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinphx View Post
Not sure that I understand the question, but the heated air was entering the bedrooms and with the doors closed, the air

so there are no return registers in the bedrooms?
Standard phoenix home. Two stories, 1 return in central part of the house. 5 tons of ac in a package unit on the roof. I added a second return in the same area as the first a year or so ago. It helped a lot. But now that the system is moving air, the bedrooms stagnated with the doors closed and running a return to the bedrooms would have meant more ducts in the 130 degree attic in the summer. so transfer ducts are the way to go in my situation!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

Transfer ducts rock!!!

Don't imagine you would have much use for these were U are. LOL.
Attached Images