Trane XV80 Gas Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trane XV80 gas Furnace

Hello,
I have a Trane XV80 gas furnace. When heat is signaled by the Thermostat, the gas burner does not ignite. There is no "click" sound when signal sent to furnace. The blower does not turn on; the gas burner does not ignite. The red light in viewer flashes 3 times indicating a "pressure switch error". How do I clear the error, or repair the problem? Many thanks! Sure appreciate your help!

Advertisement

Last edited by armandhammer; 11-28-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added info
armandhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Trane XV80 gas Furnace

How it works is the draft inducer motor (exhaust motor, not the blower motor) via negative ar pressure through a small plastic hose pulls the pressure switch closed, allowing electrical continuity through the switch, telling the control board that it's safe for the furnace to ignite (because yes, it can exhaust the burnt gas fumes).

You can carefully pull the hose off from between the inducer and the pressure switch and with the use of an unfolded paper clip, clear both hose ports, where the hose attaches at the pressure switch and at the draft inducer motor. Blow through the hose to clear it.

That is after making certain that your draft inducer motor (exhaust motor) is coming on at all to close the pressure switch to begin with.

If no draft inducer motor, pressure switch will never close and furnace will never ignite and around and around we go!!

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Trane XV80 gas Furnace

Yours will be similar in looks.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Trane XV80 gas Furnace

Thank you, Doc!!! Very informative response. I checked the hose between the pressure switch and inducer 'plenum' (where it attaches). The hose is clear. I suppose problem is with the inducer motor as you suggest (causing the error code that indicates "pressure switch"). inducer motor spins freely when moved by hand, but does not come on when heat is demanded by system. Anything else you suggest I try?? Thanks for your time!
armandhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
how

Rewards Points: 622

Trane XV80 gas Furnace

The next step would be using an electrical meter to see if the inducer motor is getting 120V with a call for heat. If the inducer motor is getting 120V and not running then its a faulty inducer motor. If it's not getting 120V with a call for heat then the board is in question.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Trane XV80 gas Furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandhammer View Post
Thank you, Doc!!! Very informative response. I checked the hose between the pressure switch and inducer 'plenum' (where it attaches). The hose is clear. I suppose problem is with the inducer motor as you suggest (causing the error code that indicates "pressure switch"). inducer motor spins freely when moved by hand, but does not come on when heat is demanded by system. Anything else you suggest I try?? Thanks for your time!

I hope you had the furnace service doors on the unit when you had the stat calling for heat..?! There is most likely a door switch that needs pressed in to allow power to the furnace. Without that door switch pressed in and with a stat calling for either cool or heat, nothing will happen as no power is getting to the board.

If you do not have a meter you can shut the BREAKER or kill switch (light switch) if you have one. Switch should be located near the furnace if it's there.

Unwire the main voltage wires to the furnace in the furnace and with the use of wire nuts (you'll need to pull the draft inducer motor wires off of the control board making sure you first know where they came from and cut the terminals back a few inches, leaving a few inches of wire on the terminal ends so you can re-connect them once done to rest of wire from draft inducer), connect the main incoming voltage wires directly to the inducer motor wires, white to white and black to black.

All a board does is use that same voltage, directing it where to go, only through itself. Now you've bypassed the board.

Turn the breaker or switch to the ON position and if the inducer comes on then more than likely the board is not telling the inducer to come on, meaning bad board.

See what happens and let us know. If the inducer comes on each time you flip the power on and off and back on then the inducer motor is good.

Advertisement