Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #1

Share |

Trane XR90 not working

I attempted to run my 7 year old XR90 for the first time this fall without luck. When I flip the power switch from "off" to "on" the heater simply makes a clicking sound, then does nothing else.

The inducer motor does not run at all but I believe I have determined the inducer motor is not the problem.

The indicator light flashes fast 11 times, stops, then repeats 3 flashes, which is a pressure switch error.

Any ideas what could be the problem or what to check? The inducer motor was replaced in 2010 and I had it cleaned by a professional 11 months ago.

Thanks.

heyblinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #2

Trane XR90 not working

Change the pressure switch

Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

Trane XR90 not working

I spoke with a service person (mostly deals with carriers) and he thought the inducer motor should start running before the pressure switch needs to do anything. Because of that, he didn't think the problem would be the pressure switch. The only possible cause he gave me was the inducer motor, but I think I've ruled that out.

Last edited by heyblinkin; 09-25-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
HVAC Tech/Owner

Trane XR90 not working

How did you rule it out?
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #5

Trane XR90 not working

I had an extra inducer that I tried connecting.

In the winter of 2010 a repairman came and replaced my inducer. Last fall I had the same symptoms as I had in 2010, so I decided to just order the inducer off ebay and switch it out myself. It turned out that my kids had put small berries down the PVC pipes that go outside and a simple cleaning by a professional fixed my problem. That is how I ended up with the extra inducer motor.

I believe in all three cases (2010, last fall, this fall) the problem code was three flashes. This case is different, however, in that the inducer does not start up at all.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #6

Trane XR90 not working

change the pressure switch
Old 09-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #7

Trane XR90 not working

and get the correct switch
Old 09-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #8

Trane XR90 not working

So I took the pressure switch out and discovered water in the hose that goes from the area where the natural gas burns down to the pressure switch. The switch is full of water. I assume this is not normal? Any chance that I can get the water out of this pressure switch and get it to work?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #9

Trane XR90 not working

I spoke with my 6 year old sun and he admitted to spraying water down the PVC pipes that go outside. Can that do damage to the furnace, and if so, how bad?

I'm just wondering if it is worthwhile ordering a new pressure switch if there may be more serious damage beyond just the pressure switch.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Part of the Clover Leaf

Trane XR90 not working

hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
AKA HVACTECHFW

Trane XR90 not working

seriously!.... Is the thermostat calling for heat? SO, if the inducer does not run while the thermostat is calling for heat you need to verify that the thermostat is producing a call for heat (you can install a jumper from R to W to bypass the thermostat) IF that doesn't work you need to check for 24VAC between R and C at the control board. If that is good then you need to verify 120VAC to the inducer from the control board. There is also ( I think) a temp limit inline with the 120V lead to the inducer.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #12

Trane XR90 not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
seriously!.... Is the thermostat calling for heat? SO, if the inducer does not run while the thermostat is calling for heat you need to verify that the thermostat is producing a call for heat (you can install a jumper from R to W to bypass the thermostat) IF that doesn't work you need to check for 24VAC between R and C at the control board. If that is good then you need to verify 120VAC to the inducer from the control board. There is also ( I think) a temp limit inline with the 120V lead to the inducer.
Thank You!

That is the type of information I was hoping to hear. From what I could tell online, the pressure switch is rarely the true culprit. Although, in this instance, it could be the problem since water had drained into the pressure switch. I'd much prefer to at least put some effort into trying to better isolate the problem rather than throwing parts at it.

My brother-in-law is coming over tomorrow and he has experience testing electronics.

I believe the thermostat is calling for heat.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #13

Trane XR90 not working

As a test, you can jumper around the switch. But have your brother in law check to see if the switch is normally open or closed. He can find this info on the schematic normally plastered to the access door, or in the manual that came with the system.
My guess is that the switch is shot... DO NOT use the heater with the pressure switch or any other safety interlock removed or defeated!!! Bypassing for testing is ok.. But normal operation with defeated switches is playing Russian roulette with your life.
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #14

Trane XR90 not working

Okay, when we unplugged the wires to the pressure switch, the inducer started running. Then we reconnected the pressure switch wires while the inducer was running, and the ignitor got bright. After that there is a sound like an actuator or relay is doing its thing, presumably opening the gas value, but the burners do not ignite and the ignitor immediately dims. It repeats this cycle.

My brother-in-law looked at the schematic and he said the pressure switch is open in the schematic. He's pretty sure that means it is normally open but isn't sure.

Last edited by heyblinkin; 09-27-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #15

Trane XR90 not working

We think we have it figured out. The pressure switch circuit needs to be open for the inducer to start. In order for the burners to run, it needs to be closed. Since the pressure switch got wet, we believe the pressure switch is not fully opening or closing the circuit properly. We will swap out the pressure switch, and the tubes just in case, and that should do the trick.

Thanks for the help.

The Following User Says Thank You to heyblinkin For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (09-27-2013)