Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #1

Share |

Trane XR90 issue

Got home yesterday and the heat was not working. I was getting the 3 blinking light (Pressure sensor Fail). Looked on here and found what I belive is the issue of the heat exchanger having cracks.

I have found 2 other posts on here that have had the exact same issue and had to have the heat exchanger replaced.

I have 2 companies in mind. One will order the part and come and change it based on what I have told them.

The one wants to do a service call first and they are not convinced it is the problem.

my gut is telling me to go with the first guy as I am pretty confident that that is the issue.
I have not checked the intake yet, but assuming that that is clear, I am not sure what else the issue would be.

The furnace runs fine when I have the burner box cracked open.

THoughts?
jasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #2

Trane XR90 issue

with all the panels up and the furnace toggled off on the service switch...call for heat put the service switch on,and then watch the main flames just as the supply fan comes ON if your see any flux in the shape of the flame as the air side pressurizes the heat=X is cracked

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #3

Trane XR90 issue

Heat exchangers are not cheap nor is the labor. Best to find out for sure if it's cracked before ordering a replacement.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #4

Trane XR90 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
with all the panels up and the furnace toggled off on the service switch...call for heat put the service switch on,and then watch the main flames just as the supply fan comes ON if your see any flux in the shape of the flame as the air side pressurizes the heat=X is cracked
I get no flames at all. The Pressure Sensor switch does not let it engage. If i blow into the tube and put my thumb over the end, it kicks on. I have not looked at the flame.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Trane XR90 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Heat exchangers are not cheap nor is the labor. Best to find out for sure if it's cracked before ordering a replacement.
Head exchanger is covered under warrenty. I am going to look at the intake tonight to make sure it is not plugged.

I have the same symptoms as this guy. Down to the, mine works with the burner box cracked open.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #6

Trane XR90 issue

Check the port that the inducer hose hose hooks to for any blockage. If it's clear then make sure the flue isn't plugged
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Trane XR90 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasun View Post
Heat exchanger is covered under warrenty. I am going to look at the intake tonight to make sure it is not plugged.

I have the same symptoms as this guy. Down to the, mine works with the burner box cracked open.

The heat exchanger may be covered. But the labor isn't.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

Trane XR90 issue

the heat exchanger is only covered if it is actually bad..... It must be verified first. I think you have another issue.