Trane Xr12 Flips Breaker - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 85

trane xr12 flips breaker

I have a trane xr12 outside and a Trane TWE036c14obo inside (in the attic)

My the house temp rose inside today to around 76 degrees and my wife turned on the AC, but it was not getting cold. The fan is running but the compressor is not running. I checked the fuse in the air handler but it was fine (should have known is the fan is running) I checked the breaker and it AC breaker was tripped. I turned it on, heard the compressor kick on then immediately the breaker flipped again.

any advice to get it running again?

In the past the fuse was blowing in the air handler, i replaced it and it worked. Last July it blew again and i changed the fuse it immediately burned out. I called a HVAC guy and he found a bare wire in the compressor unit outside, he tapped it up and all was good. A few months later it happened again. I opened the panel on the compressor and i didn't find any bare wires, but it started working again, must have been another short butt i couldn't find it.. This might be the problem, but the fuse isn't blowing like last time.

I am going to check the wires again maybe ill find something.

EDIT: no bare wires.., with the thermostat turned off the breaker still trips for the compressor.

Advertisement

Last edited by mchipser; 02-29-2012 at 11:30 PM.
mchipser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

trane xr12 flips breaker

Not sure if that model has a crank case heater or not but if it does disconnect it and try the unit again.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #3

trane xr12 flips breaker

I have no idea what that is..

I was also going to test the capacitor but my multimeter doesn't test mfd..
Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
thermal-medics.com

Rewards Points: 25

trane xr12 flips breaker

If your unit is competely turned off at the T-stat and you reset the breaker for the outdoor unit (compressor and condenser fan, etc) and it tripped again than what Marty is trying to say is it would be on an always-hot wire.

The crankcase heater is simply a band (usually) that draws low voltage and keeps the compressor warm. It prevents liquid migration of refrigerant during off cycles.

Eitherway, if you are tripping the breaker even with a dead off unit then look for wire connections:

1. at the breaker connection if you are able (careful)
2. at the disconnect at the outdoor unit (with the breaker off)
3. at the contactor line side (where it comes in from disconnect)
4. your contactor probably has a bar on one side that is always hot (pic)
anything that has power constantly applied to it will go through this bar (example is the crankcase heater)

you can refer to the wiring schematic for tracking the other wires. be sure to discharge any run capacitors before working around them especially if you have been trying to apply power to the unit.

if you are turning the unit on and the breaker trips then I would see in your future a grounded wire (anywhere), or locked-up compressor issue. anyone else??
thermal-medics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

trane xr12 flips breaker

Well I had a HVAC guy come out and the compressor has a short inside the unit.. He took the three wires and they were shorted to each other..
Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #6

trane xr12 flips breaker

I had another tech come out to get a second opinion.. Same problem.. However these guys are the ones who installed the unit in my house (I did not know this) and it turns out the compressor is still in warranty.. I have to pay for labor to install it but it is way cheaper then a whole new unit..

Advertisement