Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Trane XR 90

I have Trane XR 90 which 7 years old. The system shuts down with four blinks. We replaced flame sensor and temprature sensor for secondary heat exchanger. When we changed temprature sensor for secondary heat exchanger, the system worked for about a day. We are having same problem again. We bypassed the pressure swithc, but didn't help. We bypassed temprature sensor, and system works. With temprature sensor, the system shuts down in 7-8 min.
Our technician is saying that we have plugged heat exchanger or blower motor is not working properly. Any suggestion? Also, can we measure temprature in secondary heat exchanger to make sure that it is not reaching 190 degree.

Thank you

dmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #2

Trane XR 90

How do you check plugged coil? I have same problem.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Trane XR 90

How do you increase blower speed on Trane XR 90?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #4

Trane XR 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
I have Trane XR 90 which 7 years old. The system shuts down with four blinks. We replaced flame sensor and temperature sensor for secondary heat exchanger. When we changed temperature sensor for secondary heat exchanger, the system worked for about a day. We are having same problem again. We bypassed the pressure swithc, but didn't help. We bypassed temperature sensor, and system works. With temperature sensor, the system shuts down in 7-8 min.
Our technician is saying that we have plugged heat exchanger or blower motor is not working properly. Any suggestion? Also, can we measure temperature in secondary heat exchanger to make sure that it is not reaching 190 degree.

Thank you
Dear DMASS,

A limit trips when the furnace reaches an us-safe working temperature condition. The limit is a safety device, it protects your house, family and life in the event of a component failing. to by pass a limit is to play with a loaded gun pointed at your head. start by changing the filter, then checking for a plugged evaporator coil.Is a series of return air grilles blocked?Have you performed a temperature rise on the furnace to determine if you are lacking return air? Has any one checked the gas pressure to see if you could be over fired? Is the secondary heat exchanger all plugged up with crap? if your "technician" says the secondary is plugged, why isn't he cleaning and clearing it? puzzled..........
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

Trane XR 90

Hi Harleyrider - Thank you for your quick reponse. I appreciate it. We checked filter. I change filter monthly. It is a brand new filter. We do not have any blocked vents. I checked them as well.

I am not sure how complicated it would be to check plugged evaporator coil and secondary heat exchanger. I hear water flowing so I am not sure if it means that coil is plugged or not.

We will follow up on your suggestion of retrun air flow analysis.

Can we increase fan speed to reduce hear in in the exchanger?

Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #6

Trane XR 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
Hi Harleyrider - Thank you for your quick reponse. I appreciate it. We checked filter. I change filter monthly. It is a brand new filter. We do not have any blocked vents. I checked them as well.

I am not sure how complicated it would be to check plugged evaporator coil and secondary heat exchanger. I hear water flowing so I am not sure if it means that coil is plugged or not.

We will follow up on your suggestion of retrun air flow analysis.

Can we increase fan speed to reduce hear in in the exchanger?

Thanks again.
Increaseing the fan speed will not solve any of your problems, only putting a bandaid on them.......
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #7

Trane XR 90

Thanks, I checked the temprature with a probe in secondary heat exchanger. It rises to 190 degree and then shuts down. I increased the fan speed, but didn't help. We made one more register in the basement to increase air flow through heat exchanger, but didn't help.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

Trane XR 90

My Trane had limit switch problem. We checked temp sensor. Didn't help. Other limit switch is functioning as well. We replaced flame sensor but didn't help. So my technicial is saying that it is plugged heat exchanger. Can you check heat exchanger without opening? The heat exchanger is under warranty, but he want $400 to open it up to check.

The furnance runs for short cycle if we remove all panels, and the system is sucking air from the basement. Otherwise the temp in the furnance rises to 190 and it trips. If we leave furnance panels off then temp comes down to 160. He said that it should be aroung 130. So he is suspecting either bad heat exchanger installation or plugged heat exchanger. Please advise whether heat exchanger is a suspect or not. Thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #9

Trane XR 90

My Trane had limit switch problem. We checked temp sensor. Didn't help. Other limit switch is functioning as well. We replaced flame sensor but didn't help. So my technicial is saying that it is plugged heat exchanger. Can you check heat exchanger without opening? The heat exchanger is under warranty, but he want $400 to open it up to check.

The furnance runs for short cycle if we remove all panels, and the system is sucking air from the basement. Otherwise the temp in the furnance rises to 190 and it trips. If we leave furnance panels off then temp comes down to 160. He said that it should be aroung 130. So he is suspecting either bad heat exchanger installation or plugged heat exchanger. Please advise whether heat exchanger is a suspect or not. Thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
AKA HVACTECHFW

Trane XR 90

not likely, Has he verified the evap coil is clean? Has he checked the gas pressure? Has he checked static pressure? Are you getting a 4 flash diagnostic code?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Trane XR 90

Its less confusing if all of your questions about this are kept in one thread.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote