Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Trane XL90 - Blower runs but no heat

Hello,
I'm a new home owner (bought this house in September) and I woke up this morning to a cold house. I checked the thermostat and it read about 65 (I had the temp set to 74). I turned the heat up a couple notches and left for work. When I got home, it still hadn't warmed up at all (at least not any more than the warmer daytime temps would've caused).
I'm not even sure where to begin troubleshooting. I've heard the first thing everyone asks for is the error flash codes. This particular model will show the last four faults on power up. They are as follows:
2 -- System Lockout (Retries or Recycles exceeded)
8 -- Low flame sense
The paperwork I have states that this was a new install in 2005.
I'm not really sure what to do next, but any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by dchanson; 04-17-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling
dchanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchanson View Post
Hello,
I'm a new home owner (bought this house in September) and I woke up this morning to a cold house. I checked the thermostat and it read about 65 (I had the temp set to 74). I turned the heat up a couple notches and left for work. When I got home, it still hadn't warmed up at all (at least not any more than the warmer daytime temps would've caused).
I'm not even sure where to begin troubleshooting. I've heard the first thing everyone asks for is the error flash codes. This particular model will show the last four faults on power up. They are as follows:
8 -- Low flame sense
The paperwork I have states that this was a new install in 2005.
I'm not really sure what to do next, but any assistance is greatly appreciated!!
what i would would do is power the unit down at switch ...set to heat and power back up.. observe what happens at furnace.....start from there

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 04-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
how

Next power down furnace, clean flame sensor with steel wool, power it back up and see what happens.

Last edited by how; 04-17-2012 at 07:08 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #4

Ben:
When I turn it off, set it to heat, nothing happens. If I flip it on, it starts to try to heat, and it sounds like something tries to start and then 'gives up' after a couple of seconds (you can hear a kind of 'squeak' when it does). Then the blower will turn on and run (no heat) for a short period of time and quit. I have a video uploading so you can hear it and see what I'm talking about, but it looks like it could be about a half hour before it's done uploading (slow internet). Do you agree with advice to clean flame sensor with steel wool (not that I don't trust you, How, just always nice to have a second opinion )?

How:
Where is this sensor located, and do you recommend any other precautionary measures prior to accessing/cleaning it?

Thanks again guys!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
how

If the flame came on for a few seconds and then turned off, then the flame sensor would be the most common culprit. Do you have an inspection port into the burners to see?
If it didn't even ignite, then no its not a flame sensor problem.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Ben:
When I turn it off, set it to heat, nothing happens. If I flip it on, it starts to try to heat, and it sounds like something tries to start and then 'gives up' after a couple of seconds (you can hear a kind of 'squeak' when it does). Then the blower will turn on and run (no heat) for a short period of time and quit. I have a video uploading so you can hear it and see what I'm talking about, but it looks like it could be about a half hour before it's done uploading (slow internet). Do you agree with advice to clean flame sensor with steel wool (not that I don't trust you, How, just always nice to have a second opinion )?

How:
Where is this sensor located, and do you recommend any other precautionary measures prior to accessing/cleaning it?

Thanks again guys!!!
yes flame sensor could be cleaned...but if you hear a squeal at start up it sounds like inducer motor....this starts up first to set ignition sequence....
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

How: I'm not sure where an inspection port would be other than the one to check the indicator lights, I haven't taken any panels off yet, but I could certainly do that if need be.

Ben: It's more of a squeak than a squeal. I know that sounds like tomato tomahto, but it sounds more like air pressure being let out of a tight opening than the squeal of something mechanical...if that makes sense. You can hear it really well in the video.

I'm going to see if I can identify the flame sensor. Back in a minute.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
How: I'm not sure where an inspection port would be other than the one to check the indicator lights, I haven't taken any panels off yet, but I could certainly do that if need be.

Ben: It's more of a squeak than a squeal. I know that sounds like tomato tomahto, but it sounds more like air pressure being let out of a tight opening than the squeal of something mechanical...if that makes sense. You can hear it really well in the video.

I'm going to see if I can identify the flame sensor. Back in a minute.
at this point I don't think its the flame sensor...that squeak is still the draft inducer motor...you can remove upper door panel..
Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

Okay. Found the stuff we were looking for. The thing I mentioned that sounds like it 'tries to fire up' at first is a small black motor on the lower right side of the upper portion of the furnace (video uploading). The flame DOES light for a second or two, but is then extinguished (the 'squeak' happens at the exact same time the flame is extinguished, I'm certain the two are somehow related).
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Okay. Found the stuff we were looking for. The thing I mentioned that sounds like it 'tries to fire up' at first is a small black motor on the lower right side of the upper portion of the furnace (video uploading). The flame DOES light for a second or two, but is then extinguished (the 'squeak' happens at the exact same time the flame is extinguished, I'm certain the two are somehow related).
ok now were getting somwhere... may need to see and hear video.....
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #11

Video #1 - http://youtu.be/jl9SRxHPGjE
This just gives a general idea of what it's doing, and 'the sound'

There is another video currently uploading (about 10 minutes out) that shows the flame lighting and some of the other 'internalities' of the furnace when it's trying to fire. It also shows the small black motor I referred to.

Link will be posted as soon as upload is complete.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Video #1 - http://youtu.be/jl9SRxHPGjE
This just gives a general idea of what it's doing, and 'the sound'

There is another video currently uploading (about 10 minutes out) that shows the flame lighting and some of the other 'internalities' of the furnace when it's trying to fire. It also shows the small black motor I referred to.

Link will be posted as soon as upload is complete.
did you take off the upper door panel....
Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #13

I do in video #2
The Following User Says Thank You to dchanson For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #14

Video 2: http://youtu.be/i4EGf45JFyY
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Iam going to say you should check exhaust pipe for blockage or intake for blockage ..

Tags
furnace, heat, hvac, trane