Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #1

Share |

Trane XL80 blower motor part number?

Thanks ahead of time for helping me if you can! I know I need to replace a dying blower motor in a 1992 Trane XL80 gas furnace. My main questions are:

• What is the part number for the blower motor and where can I buy it either online or in Indianapolis? (I ask since I assume I may not be able to buy from wholesalers since I am just a consumer.)
  • What is the part number for the blower motor capacitor?
  • Model number of Trane XL80 is TDD120R960A1. Serial #G29536108.
  • What motor is best? That is, are OEM motors available or would an "equivalent" motor do just as well?
It is a high efficiency two stage Trane. The motor has 4 wires coming from it.

I have replaced blower motors in large broadcast transmitters so this looks fairly straightforward BUT I'm not one to assume. So that brings me to the next question:
  • What "gotchas" should I look out for?
  • How should I remove the "squirrel cage"? Does that require a puller or just unscrew from the shaft?
It looks like all I have to do is remove the flu pipe, the circuit board assembly mount, blower motor mount assembly, etc. Am I missing anything else?

I know to be sure the breaker is off and I always carry an AC inductor "glow stick" indicator as well as a meter plus grounding rod JUST to be extra careful. (I'd rather blow a breaker than me!)

Thanks again in advance!!

Last edited by keverino; 02-26-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: additional model info
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #2

Google it.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #3

"Google it."

Well duh, "thanks" for that suggestion but I *have* Googled it for the last hour with no luck and cannot find exact answers (except for one match that will cost me $400 and I'm sure there is a better replacement plus it still didn't give me the exact part number). That's why I came to this forum to ask those who know more than me.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Do you have an electric motor shop in your area ? I guess you are talking about a 3 speed direct drive motor with 1/2 shaft. No need for direct trane replacment motor. If you know what to look for. You could try Home Depot or Lowe's

If I'am allowed to do this ....Read the specs on your motor & match.......http://www.google.com/products?sourc...num=1&ct=title

Last edited by kenmac; 02-27-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keverino View Post
"Google it."

Well duh, "thanks" for that suggestion but I *have* Googled it for the last hour with no luck and cannot find exact answers (except for one match that will cost me $400 and I'm sure there is a better replacement plus it still didn't give me the exact part number). That's why I came to this forum to ask those who know more than me.

Duh...go get the info off the mtr: HP, amp draw, voltage, RPM, shaft size (should be 1/2").

You can also go to a motor shop and get a direct replacement under a diff prt number.

I would say up to $200 is a fair estimate of the going rate.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #6

"Duh" again. The whole idea was to get the information without taking my heater apart (weather is still too cold) then putting it back together while I order the part, taking it apart again and installing the motor. WTF?

If I take it to shop to have someone rebuild the motor I have to do it during a weekday and with my job I can't.

Also regarding Googling the motor, try doing it and you'll see unless you are an HVAC dude like yourself, no links were obvious. They look like they are but click the link and it's a dead end.

Thanks anyway but it seems this posting was a huge waste of my time. Go ahead and flame, I'm not going to waste time reading it.

Last edited by keverino; 02-27-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #7
Journeyman

I can't find the Trane part number but take a look here. http://www.expertappliance.com/trane-ac.html
Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #8

Smile

keverino - hope you have found your part and replaced blower motor.
My XL80 blower motor started making a vibrating noise. My furnace was installed in 1995 and has never been serviced (no problems to now). I see they recommend cleaning blower wheel annually (by certified tech). Did you get your motor out and back in? How difficult was it and what was the cost? Am considering my options - including calling dealer.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Duh...go get the info off the mtr: HP, amp draw, voltage, RPM, shaft size (should be 1/2").

You can also go to a motor shop and get a direct replacement under a diff prt number.

I would say up to $200 is a fair estimate of the going rate.

From 2009....Uncle Clover at his sassiest.
Now the family is lucky to get even a slight gibe from him.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYerNed View Post
keverino - hope you have found your part and replaced blower motor.
My XL80 blower motor started making a vibrating noise. My furnace was installed in 1995 and has never been serviced (no problems to now). I see they recommend cleaning blower wheel annually (by certified tech). Did you get your motor out and back in? How difficult was it and what was the cost? Am considering my options - including calling dealer.
It's been three years, I hope it's fixed by now too
Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by keverino View Post
Thanks ahead of time for helping me if you can! I know I need to replace a dying blower motor in a 1992 Trane XL80 gas furnace. My main questions are:

• What is the part number for the blower motor and where can I buy it either online or in Indianapolis? (I ask since I assume I may not be able to buy from wholesalers since I am just a consumer.)
  • What is the part number for the blower motor capacitor?
  • Model number of Trane XL80 is TDD120R960A1. Serial #G29536108.
  • What motor is best? That is, are OEM motors available or would an "equivalent" motor do just as well?
It is a high efficiency two stage Trane. The motor has 4 wires coming from it.

I have replaced blower motors in large broadcast transmitters so this looks fairly straightforward BUT I'm not one to assume. So that brings me to the next question:
  • What "gotchas" should I look out for?
  • How should I remove the "squirrel cage"? Does that require a puller or just unscrew from the shaft?
It looks like all I have to do is remove the flu pipe, the circuit board assembly mount, blower motor mount assembly, etc. Am I missing anything else?

I know to be sure the breaker is off and I always carry an AC inductor "glow stick" indicator as well as a meter plus grounding rod JUST to be extra careful. (I'd rather blow a breaker than me!)

Thanks again in advance!!
Its a MOT 4717 and its VERY expensive even at wholesale cost......Trane told me its a NON-STOCK motor due to its age.So it would have to be ordered and shipped, your looking at $309.29
Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
It's been three years, I hope it's fixed by now too

wow.............just seen that too
Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #13

Thumbs down

Well, boys what I see here is a bunch of members who make fun of every question asked by DIYers.
If that's really what this sight is all about why would I come back.
HarleyRider - do you have anything to contribute other than suggesting somebody listen to you. I seriously doubt you have any knowledge of the difficulty or cost to replace this blower motor which likely has many after market equivalents.
Does this sight have any monitors or rules or can I just tell these guys to get you know what?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #14

Dear site admimistrators - I know it is a difficult job, but it seems to me on a DIY site there should be a rule that anybody who belittles a question in responding is first warned and then barred from further participation. I have belonged to other sites where administrators directly communicated to members who violated the rules and spirit of the site. It was far more orderly than this site. People do respond to supervision or the lack thereof.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYerNed View Post
Well, boys what I see here is a bunch of members who make fun of every question asked by DIYers.
If that's really what this sight is all about why would I come back.
HarleyRider - do you have anything to contribute other than suggesting somebody listen to you. I seriously doubt you have any knowledge of the difficulty or cost to replace this blower motor which likely has many after market equivalents.
Does this sight have any monitors or rules or can I just tell these guys to get you know what?
Mr. Nerd, my credentials are available at your request through a PM, I will tell you that i have been a HVAC/R residential and light commercial technician for over 30 years.You don't do something that long if you don't know what you are doing.

The OP ( original Poster) asked for a part number for a specific motor to a specific furnace, I called a local TRANE distributor and obtained and provided that information to him, as well as some additional information that was obtained during that telephone conversation. Now I have to question your knowledge, because Trane does use a specific type of mounting hardware ( trade professionals are familiar with it) and it dose require a specific type of motor. You cant just "hack in" any Ole motor and have a successful repair.

Mr. Nerd, i had 3 choices with your post.......1 was to ignore it, 2 was to report it and the 3 rd was to educate you since you obviously don't know what the hell your talking about, what you chose to do with your education is up to you.

Closed Thread

Tags
blower motor, replace blower motor, trane, xl80