Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Trane xl15i and xv80 heating questions

System is six months old. System switches from Trane XL15i heat pump heat to natural gas heat at around 35-38F. Does this seem right or should this heat pump operate at a lower temperature? Also, XV80 is a two stage unit. Should my Trane programmable thermostat (Xl800 model I believe) say which stage is being used? I don't know that I am ever aware of two heating stages. Should I be able to notice a difference? As far as a variable speed furnace when it starts/stops for a few seconds. I notice the speed varies but not other times. Should I notice anything else? thanks for any information.

supermaxhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,814

If you mean you think it should be able to heat your house at a lower temp, then it is currently set at. Set it lower, and see if it can.

The 800 can't control 2 stages of aux heat on a dual fuel system. So its being done by the board timer. Or not switching at all.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
If you mean you think it should be able to heat your house at a lower temp, then it is currently set at. Set it lower, and see if it can.

The 800 can't control 2 stages of aux heat on a dual fuel system. So its being done by the board timer. Or not switching at all.
Set what lower? When the outside temperature falls below 35-38F (based on outside temperature as shown on my thermostat) my system switches to emergency heat (natural gas). I was expecting my heat pump to switch to emergency heat at a cooler temperature. It is not adjustable as far as I can tell.

The 800 can't control 2 stages of heat. Is that bad? Should I have a thermostat that can? What programmable thermostat does everything for my system? When I purchased my system I paid for a programmable thermostat. They first hooked up a non programmable thermostat and later I pointed out the error and they came out and hooked up a TCONT800. I remember that the non programmable thermostat was able to show me what stage.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

The tcon 800's can have the lockout temps changed to a higher or lower temp.

The IAQ thermostat would be able to control both stages of your gas heat, and also slow the blower in the summer when your using the A/C to get a lower humidity in the house.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
The tcon 800's can have the lockout temps changed to a higher or lower temp.

The IAQ thermostat would be able to control both stages of your gas heat, and also slow the blower in the summer when your using the A/C to get a lower humidity in the house.
It doesn't look like I can set lockout temps with my 800. I've been throuh all of the advanced settings and it isn't there. I have outside temperature but not humidity. If I get an IAQ thermostat are you saying it would control humidity in my house?

My heating guy said my heat pump should stay on to the mid or low twenties and I told him it switched to gas heat in the mid thirties.

I've got my heating guy scheduled for Friday. I guess I should expect a replacement thermostat since I didn't get a two stage thermostat to begin with and I didn't realize it until now? Maybe I can pay the difference and upgrade to one that controls everything it should and also adds humidity control?

I am also finally getting my Trane Clean effects unit installed (they where not available last summer) and some duct leaks repaired that I found with a thermal leak detector.

BeenThere, thanks for the knowledge you provide here!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Your stat isn't set up for dual fuel control if you can't get to the lock out temp settings. Some companies use an external dual fuel control.

What are installer set up #s 170 and 210 set to?

The IAQ can slow down a VS blower to remove more moisture in the summer time. It can't control your humidity in the winter, unless you also have a humidifier. Then you can control the humidifier with the IAQ.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Your stat isn't set up for dual fuel control if you can't get to the lock out temp settings. Some companies use an external dual fuel control.

What are installer set up #s 170 and 210 set to?

The IAQ can slow down a VS blower to remove more moisture in the summer time. It can't control your humidity in the winter, unless you also have a humidifier. Then you can control the humidifier with the IAQ.
There is no 170 or 210, it skips from 160 to 320. Is there a particular IAQ model you recommend?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Yth9421
Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #9

Turns out I do have a tcont802 that is capable of controlling my 2 stage xv80 furnace. I finally realized that there are installer setups that are accessed differently than the advanced setups.

On Friday I had the Trane clean effects unit installed. I tried to get it last summer when I had everything else replaced but they were out of stock then and I just now got around to it. The installer says not to use any filters in my celing returns. Is this correct? I also had my supply box that connects to 11 flex pipes replaced. The old one was just too leaky. I still have one flex run going through a ceiling that I can not inspect that has output 5-10 degrees cooler.

In the installer setup the tech lowered the heat pump lockout from 40 to 35. He did not want me to go lower. I have set it on my own now at 30. I measure the termperature for the heat coming out of my registers at 86-91f with outside temperature of 34f and indoor temp of 68. Does this seem about right for the xl15?

Where can I find information on the COP outside temperature data for the xl15i? I would like calculate the economic lockout point but I just don't have enough informatoin for the heat pump. thanks!

Last edited by supermaxhd; 01-31-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

That info would be in the Trane service facts sheet.

The Tcon803 can NOT control both stages of your furnace in dual fuel mode. So your furnace is timing up to second stage.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
That info would be in the Trane service facts sheet.

The Tcon803 can NOT control both stages of your furnace in dual fuel mode. So your furnace is timing up to second stage.
Yes, the tech told me that it had only been working in stage II. He said he has set it to now go to stage 2 after 10 minutes if it needs.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermaxhd View Post
Yes, the tech told me that it had only been working in stage II. He said he has set it to now go to stage 2 after 10 minutes if it needs.
When ever it received a new call for heat on both W1 and W2 at the same time. It automatically went into a 10 minute delay and then brought on second stage. So he din't really make any change, other then he may have set the jumper to 10 minutes. Which is done if you don't jump fromW1 to W2. So your furnace has been staging itself to second stage after 10 minutes already.