Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #1

Share |

Trane XL1200 Heat Pump Condenser Fan Problem

I have an old Trane XL1200 3.5 Ton Heat Pump that stopped cooling. When I shut the system down the condenser Fan was running normally blowing hot air which it should and the compressor was running but not sounding quite normal. I don't know how to describe the sound further, but it sounded a little different than it normally did.

Anyway when I tried to restart the unit, the condenser fan would try to start almost completing one revolution and then appear to bind ALMOST coming to a complete stop, the motor will buzz and the blade will ever so slowly move in a jerky motion for about a quarter turn then the fan will start moving normally for almost another complete revolution repeating the process all over again. The compressor did not appear to come on as I heard no noise coming from it.

I pulled the fan from the system expecting it to bind up when I tried to turn it manually. To my surprise it turned quite freely and there is no play in the shaft except for a very very small in and out play which should be normal.

The fan is 2 speed and pretty darn expensive. It is apparently an odd model number (K55HXDJT-6912) as I have been only able to locate one supplier on the web and they want $350.00.

Before I run out and buy a new fan in a system as old as mine I would like to be sure the fan is bad but I am not sure how to test it. I plan on buying a new run capacitor anyway, but I don't think that is the problem as my understanding is that the capacitor either works or it doesn't . Maybe I'm wrong here and it could cause the problem I describe.

Any help on how to check out the fan to see if it is still good would be appreciated. It is still out of the system sitting on my living room floor
peglegpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #2

Yes, condenser fans are expensive (especially older, 2 speed models). I'd keep looking for a less expensive source but if there is only one major supplier, you may be out of luck.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #3

I measured a 10 microfarad capacitor today that only read 5.9 microfarad.
I recommend replacing your capacitor if the blade spins freely with power removed.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

IN the field it is simple and fast to test a motor by swapping the capacitor.

Replace the cap you may have a dual cap that serves the compressor and fan. This may also fix the noise issue you are having with the compressor

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote