Trane XL 80 Won't Light. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trane XL 80 won't light.

Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with my Trane XL 80. I'm stuck in figuring out if it's the gas valve solenoid, or the control module. Here is whats going on.

When I get my call for heat, my ignitor will light, but when the gas valve is supposed to open, it doesn't.

When I disconnect the wires to the gas valve, I will have 24VAC just like I'm supossed to have. But when it's connected to the solenoid, I only get 9VAC.

Could this be an issue with the solenoid, and causing the voltage drop I'm seeing, or is this an issue with the control board not being able to supply enough current?

Advertisement

cdcamaro9534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 738

Trane XL 80 won't light.

Most likely the gas valve is seizing up, 95%. Give it a good wrap with a crescent wrench or screwdriver handle when it is trying to open. VERY rarely does the board drop the voltage or the transformer get weak.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #3

Trane XL 80 won't light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Most likely the gas valve is seizing up, 95%. Give it a good wrap with a crescent wrench or screwdriver handle when it is trying to open. VERY rarely does the board drop the voltage or the transformer get weak.
Looks like it's the solenoid for the gas valve. I figured I couldn't hurt it no more by taking it apart and looking at it.

I applied 24vac with a variable transformer, and all the gas valve solenoid does it buzz, and it won't suck the plunger up to let the gas through. The others seem to work ok. Guess I will be trying to buy one tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #4

Trane XL 80 won't light.

Well looks like it's not the gas valve. Just bought a new one, and still won't light. I still have only 9vac when connected. Guess I will buy a new control board!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 738

Trane XL 80 won't light.

Be careful to read the instructions CAREFULLY for that board. There was some jumper/retrofit on some of them.