Trane XL-80 Control Board Got Wet.... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trane XL-80 Control Board got wet....

Hello guys, im glad I found a DIY forum for HVAC! I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a Trane XL-80 furnace with the overhead a/c coil. Two days ago my a/c lines froze up, my filter was quite dirty and the coils in my outdoor a/c unit were also dirty (shame on me!). When the lines froze they dripped a considerable amount of condensation onto the filter, and thus the water got into the system while it was running. From there I figure the water was sprayed all over the motor and control board. The furnace cut out completely then. I am getting a solid red led light on my control board, which means I need to replace the board. My dilemma is not so much what is wrong, but what should I do to fix it. Right now I have temporarily jumped the board to supply power to the motor, and the system is working great (thank god, it has been very hot in Michigan this past week), however I understand this is no permantant fix by any means. should I

A) Suck it up and buy a new board ($250)

or

B) Take the board to an electronics repair man and see if he can repair the board. I am thinking its just resistor for the blower (if that makes sense)

Thanks!!

-Brent

Advertisement

brandnewrock8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

try drying it out thoroughly for a few days then reinstall.. if no go then bite the bullet and replace good luck

Advertisement

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Brent, furnace control boards can not legally be repaired since they contain the flame proving circuits (kill the power to the gas valve when flame not sensed). Even if it dries out I wouldn't trust it so would advise to buy a replacement. The same with gas valves. Some even have a sticker stating valve must be replaced if exposed to water.

With that said it's your house and equipment so you are free to do as you want.I'm sure there's many gas valves and control boards out there that have been wet and are still functioning just fine. A HVAC company would replace the parts as a CYA measure since they would be held liable should the safeties not work and house burns down. The DIY home owner can't sue themselves if things go wrong.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Replace the board if it doesn't work after letting it dry out.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #5

Thanks guys. I was thinking the safe bet would be to replace it, but Ill let it dry out for a few days and try it again. Thanks for the input!

-Brent
brandnewrock8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

let i lay out in the days sun and flip it a couple of times...the solid black relay cube is the supply fan motor power feed..should click when you jump R to G on that board if your filter was packed with dust/dirt check the rounds on that fan squirrel cage inside the air handler
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,126

Ive heard people putting wet cell phones in a bag of rice with help with the drying process since the rice will absorb any moisture, same effect as when they place rice in salt shakers so the salt does not clump together.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #8

Rice in the salt shaker works because the larger grains of rice agitate the salt and break up the clumps. A few grains of rice can't hold enough moisture to do anything but postpone the clumping for a few days. Unless you change out your moisture laden rice for new dry rice periodically of course.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #9

If you want to prevent this from happening again, OC has some products designed to prevent this. Check out their commercial page and click on air handling systems to see what I'm talking about. I linked to the page below the post. Hope this helps you out and good luck!

Last edited by beenthere; 07-11-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: removed link
alexbest27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Insulation would have done no good.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #11

TO Alex..you know who you are..you are wasting our time by posting your OC
ads which are not even close to being specific to the topics at hand..if they are then I suggest you look up the solutions first then let us know each solution specifically applied to the posted problem..that would be beneficial instead of annoying!

Advertisement

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c , control board , jump , replace , trane xl80