Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trane Xl 1200 5 ton Compressor Fan replacement opions needed

Just got home from a few days away and found that I had no heat.
Instead the cooling seemed to have kicked in.
I checked the outdoor unit and the fan was not rotating.

I called out our A/C company and they said that the Fan motor was toast and susspected that the defrost board may also be fried.
The Capacitors were 10 micro farads lower than they should be. They were 70 and should have been 80.

The quote to fix this seems very high to me and I wanted some opinions.

The quote is:
$700 for the fan motor replacement
$500 for the defrost board
$200 for the Capacitor

So a total of $1400

I am trained in electronics and mechanical engineering and the replacement does not seem too difficult a job.
I looked on e-bay and found motors for around $150, boards for around $50 and I can not think that the caps would be more than about $100.

So that would be $300 a saving of $1100 if I could do it myself.

Oh and by the way the tech said he could not guarantee that it would work after replacing the parts.

The unit is 10 years old.

He also recommended two other option:
1) 7 year maintenance agreement for $1800 and would throw in this repair
2) A new unit at around $5000

I am thinking about ordering the parts for $300 and atempting the repair myself. Worst that happens is I fail and loose $300 ore even get someone else to do the repair for about $500 cash in their hand.

What do you all think?

spg112357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 510

The cap for the fan motor is probably more like 15 microfarad than 80. The 80 uF is for the compressor. I hope this 10 dollar cap is not all that you needed.

I have had bad luck using universal motors on Trane units unless I increase to the next size up. (they overamp)

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by spg112357 View Post

I called out our A/C company and they said that the Fan motor was toast and susspected that the defrost board may also be fried.
The Capacitors were 10 micro farads lower than they should be. They were 70 and should have been 80.

The quote is:
$200 for the Capacitor

So a total of $1400

I am trained in electronics and mechanical engineering and the replacement does not seem too difficult a job.
I looked on e-bay and found motors for around $150, boards for around $50 and I can not think that the caps would be more than about $100.

Oh and by the way the tech said he could not guarantee that it would work after replacing the parts.

I am thinking about ordering the parts for $300 and atempting the repair myself. Worst that happens is I fail and loose $300 ore even get someone else to do the repair for about $500 cash in their hand.

What do you all think?
Sounds like you need a new service company.

As a non-PRO, I wouldn't go off nilly-willy and change out all the listed items.

With power off, you can try spinning the blower by hand and see if it is free-wheeling. If not, try lubing it. You can also try powering up the blower motor by applying outside power to the proper contacts. If it runs, good. You can change the capacitor cheaply and request overnight delivery at arnoldservice.com. Most expensive one is probably less than $50.

Since you obviously have a heat pump, it sounds to me that the reversing valve has reversed giving you cooling. Some brands energize to heat; others, to cool. I would look there.

Some have suggested gently tapping the valve during a call for heat.

Good luck.

Last edited by veesubotee; 12-25-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: minor editing
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

80 microfarad is the compressor side. The fan side is either a 5, a 7.5, or 10 mfd. This means that you'd have a dual run cap so the numbers would be stamped such as 80/5 mfd +/-5%. This means that either 5 percent of 80 or five percent of whichever number is for the fan is in range.

Your compressor was running slower if it was a 70 and not at 80, nothing to do with the fan outside of if the fan cap was working or not.

Capacitor at Grainger: no more than $25 I'd suspect and the dual run which runs both fan and compressor.
New condenser fan motor: if OEM only no more than $150. General replacement no more than $60, possibly $70-ish.

If you can get your hands on a defrost board which I'd have to suspect yours is still good maybe a slight bit over $100.

The cap and the motor you can definitely do yourself and we will help you. That's near a grand you will save, not $300.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 12-25-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:

The quote is:
$200 for the Capacitor

So a total of $1400

What do you all think?
ps, going by those numbers I'm upping my charge for condenser fan replacements beginning New Years.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

check on here for prices on all the stuff http://www.bestbuyheatingandairconditioning.com/
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
80 microfarad is the compressor side. The fan side is either a 5, a 7.5, or 10 mfd. This means that you'd have a dual run cap so the numbers would be stamped such as 80/5 mfd +/-5%. This means that either 5 percent of 80 or five percent of whichever number is for the fan is in range.

Your compressor was running slower if it was a 70 and not at 80, nothing to do with the fan outside of if the fan cap was working or not.

Capacitor at Grainger: no more than $25 I'd suspect and the dual run which runs both fan and compressor.
New condenser fan motor: if OEM only no more than $150. General replacement no more than $60, possibly $70-ish.

If you can get your hands on a defrost board which I'd have to suspect yours is still good maybe a slight bit over $100.

The cap and the motor you can definitely do yourself and we will help you. That's near a grand you will save, not $300.

Merry Christmas.
your stock is rising Doc
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
ps, going by those numbers I'm upping my charge for condenser fan replacements beginning New Years.
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Now I've been out of the business for arond five years now but I have to say That $700 is high for a motor change out,$500 is more than double for a defrost board and anything more than $40-$50 is pure fantacy.
Trane is very particuliar about the motors they choose to use.That being so a replacement should have the same voltage,amps dsraw,horse power ,RPM,frame size and service factor. or you could be replacing it again in a year or so.
Please notwe that a new motor could require a differant size capasitor and also double check the UF needed for the compressor.It should be on the wiring diagram or the compressor itself.
You will not get any warranty doing it yourself but you should be able to purchase the components for $300 or so.
The one thing I have learned is that with Trane equipment ,universial replacement parts rarely work as good and as long as actual factory replacement parts.
Good luck.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #10

You all have some great ideas here and also confirm my thinking that the pricing is probably way over what it should be.
I will try to see if I can get the motor to turn.
The cap is for the compressor not the motor.

Thank you all and Merry Christmas to you all
Old 12-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

If you do not have a meter that tests microfarads, mfd, and thus can not test the capacitor then begin with a new one. A new capacitor, that is.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #12

I would get the fan running before looking for parts for the compressor.
Lennox was bad about going into defrost when the outdoor fan motor was out maybe because the cold outdoor coil would cause the sensor to read lower temps.
If that is the case the compressor may be working at a high head pressure without the outdoor fan in the cool or defrost mode.
+or- 10%on a run cap for a 3 ton unit is ok in my book.
Sometimes things will jump out at you and make you think the situation is worse than it is the tec might just have been looking at another issue.
nwuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Not just high, those prices are you're getting ripped off high
Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:

The quote is:
$200 for the Capacitor

So a total of $1400

What do you all think?
I will not comment on the pricing........to each his own, but it seems he is just "throwing" parts at it to make up for his lack of trouble shooting skills. It may be time for a new company and with that new prices.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #15

I asked another company and they came up with similar prices :-(
I am in Fountain Hills Arizona.
We can make do without the unit for a couple of weeks as I bought some standalone heaters and during the day it is not too bad.
So I decided to have a look at things myself......
1) Powered off the unit by tripping the breakers.
2) Removed the fan housing from the outdoor unit. It was a little heavy but managed to lift it.
3) The fan seemed to be ceased up. I could not turn it while it was mounted in the unit.
4) I was able to get the motor to rotate by hand by giving it a quick sharp jolt (turing the Fan Blades by hand). Now the fan rotates freely by hand.
5) I decided to connect the fan back to the unit and power on again.
- I put the breakers back in
- Turned the thermostat from off to heat
6) The fan still did not spin. The unit is making a humming sound, which the tech told me was defrost mode.

So now is there something I can do to determine if the motor is truely shot?

I could go ahead and order a new motor and defrost board but would like to determine what is truely wrong before I go ahead and start buying stuff.

The motor is EMERSON Model K55HXFHD-7740 200-230v 60 Hz 1.9 amps

What do you all think?
Is there anyone in the Fountain Hills area that could help me out?