Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #1

Share |

Trane XE90

Hi...New to the board and a DIYer and can use some help.

Some background: My heating is very uneven between floors. It was installed by a certified trane installer but I have my doubts about there ability.

Upstairs is quite cold or hot depending on seasons. Downstairs is fine with the exception of during really cold days and nights between heating cycles.
Equipment: Trane XE90 TUX100C948C.

Supply Plenum= 20*19 in. ( right side of the furnace in the picture)
Two distribution branches are 10*14 ( 11 vents total)for upstairs and 8*8 ( 6 vents) for downstairs. All vents are 6 inches round pipe.

Return is central with a center hallway upstairs drawing and downstairs with a 16*16 grill in both locations.
Return trunk connected to the furnace is 10*24 from the ceiling in the basement( see picture on the left side) and the return nearest the air cleaner is 20*24- near the floor. Aircleaner is clean and is electrostatic Aprilaire.

I think the return trunk is too small and possibly starving the furnace. I pulled the outside cover off without triggering the automatic cutoff and it seems the blower cavity cover is fairly tight to get off with the blower on. I am able to prop the switch closed and run upstairs and it seems to be a bit better airflow.

Any ideas would be appreciated with the sizing of the return trunk if it is the problem I think it is.

Much appreciated.
Attached Images

bjofss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Trane XE90

Your return drop is a little small.
Its your supply trunk that is the main problem.

If when you ran the blower with the door off, it only got slightly better air flow, the return is not the cause of the problem.

You might also want to see what speed your blower is set to for heat, it may be set to low.
Set it to med, or high.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #3

Trane XE90

Without knowing the size of your house its tough to say with any certainty, but I'd say both your supply and returns trunks are too small. Either get a copy of the Manual D and start educating yourself on what sizes you need, buy HVAC-Calc, or get a pro who can start measuring your static pressures.

BTW the install looks nice and neat, but you are using indoor air for combustion. That may or may not be okay depending on the size of your basement.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #4

Trane XE90

The april aire electronic is a high static drop filter. Definatly increase the blower speed to high.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #5

Trane XE90

Thanks for the input. I will try the blower speed first. Easiest to attempt.

BTW- House is 2300 Sft.
bjofss is offline   Reply With Quote