Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #1

Share |

Trane XE80 leaking water

I was in my basement yesterday and saw the furnace portion of my HVAC system leaking water from its base. I took off the panels to take a look and the entire blower compartment had water all over it and even some standing water in the bottom.

Also the main ductwork right after the blower has condensation on it all the time. There is mold starting to grow because of this condensation. The mold didnt come along till the water leak from the bottom so i am thinking they are part of the same problem.

Unfortunately i do not have an owners manual but i do have alot of DIY experience, just not with the furnace. I have a feeling that something is clogged but i just dont know where. I just want to ask a few questions?

1.) Where should i look for clogs?
2.) How can i resolve the problems?
3.) Any other pieces of advice you guys have to offer.

I know this furnace is reaching the end of its life but i want to replace it all in the spring but until then i have to make do.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

ggutier49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

Trane XE80 leaking water

Likely, you the primary condensate drain is clogged, or both the primary and secondary condensate drains are clogged. (I don't often see a secondary installed on furnaces in a basement, yours is a good illustration of why one is needed). It's also possible that you have a "condensate pump" attached to the furnace below the evaporator coil, and that it has failed and is overflowing water against the furnace cabinet. There also a few other, less likely possibilities.

It would be easier to troubleshoot the problem if you would post a link to a picture illustrating the problem along with the wide-angle "floor-to-ceiling" picture of the furnace.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 08-20-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote