DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Trane XE80 Heating Question, Please help!!!

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rakes9720 
#1 ·
I have a Trane XE80 heating unit and a Trane XL1200 central air unit. I have gas heating with force blown air venting. I switched on the heat for the first time this year and the blower motor for the heating unit and the central air unit both go on. I had a family friend who is a licensed HVAC repairman fix the unit when it had a different problem in the summer with the central air. I don't know if he did something wrong and I can't get in touch with him. When he fixed the central air in the summer I was told that since I changed the thermostat without turning off the power I blew something located in the heating unit that controls both units. He told me the part would be a couple of hundred dollars but he could reroute around it and use a simple fuse from a car which he did. Also my one thermostat controls both the heat & AC. The central air unit did not go on with the heat last year. I talked to someone and they told me that it might be in the comfort setting/mode but if it was then the central air unit would be on all the time, not just when the heat goes on. The central air unit only goes on when the heat goes on. I can hear the blower motor in the heating unit and I can hear the central air condition going on as soon as the heat goes on. When I got my first gas & electric bill they were really high compared to last year. Does anyone think that the system is working properly or is something really wrong? Thanks so much in advance for anyones help.

#3 ·
Hi Stephen1977

When you changed out the thermostat did it have the same markings for the wires as the old one? It sounds like to me some one sold you a heat pump thermostat. This is usually because they don't know any different or they see a dollar sign walking in the door. However the reason does not fix the problem. If you will let us know what wire colors are in the thermostat and what terminals are in the thermostat, I bet we can help you. First I would reccomend looking at my post Facts about thermostats.

Good luck
Rusty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.