Trane XE78 - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Trane XE78

I am clueless when it comes to HVAC. I got up under my house and there is a huge gaping hole in my furnace...looks like a duct coming out of the top that just opens into the crawl space. I would like to know where to get the user manual for this unit and the installation instructions so I can understand what is going on here...
Attached Thumbnails
Trane XE78-2dsc_4078.jpg   Trane XE78-2dsc_4079.jpg   Trane XE78-2dsc_4084.jpg   Trane XE78-2dsc_4085.jpg   Trane XE78-2dsc_4089.jpg  

Advertisement

Typ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,092

Trane XE78

from the looks of it you have ductwork issues and that has nothing to do with your furnace. Was there a cover over the end of that duct? You can tell something was there due to the duct-tape. A furnace manual will tell you nothing for your situation.

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #3

Trane XE78

I would like to know what duct that is going into my furnace though....I will try and look into the philosophy on the ductwork so I can understand that. I'm trying to get help in my learning process so I am obviously not up to speed. Thank you for your help...
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Trane XE78

If you are looking at the front of your furnace... top is return and bottom is supply.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,622

Trane XE78

Possibly for combustion air?
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #6

Trane XE78

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
If you are looking at the front of your furnace... top is return and bottom is supply.

OK I think that is the information I am looking for. I figured the top would be for the hot air but I guess the blower pushes the air down and it naturally rises through the house...and the system sucks cold air in from the top. Is that how these things work? That would mean my system has basically been sucking air from the crawl space and pushing hot air through the home inefficiently because the air flow is off.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

Trane XE78

Yes. You have a down flow furnace
Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

Trane XE78

OK. So the other day I finally put a cover on that duct. What you see above was just the remains of a tape job done with cardboard. Now I put a sheet metal cover on it. My furnace seems to run differently. I also put a new filter in it.

The motor comes on for a bit ... then the gas lights and burns...then the gas goes out and the motor runs a bit more. Then sometimes it will shut off...other times it seems to shut off at the end of it's cycle but then immediately starts another cycle. It sounds like a hesitation in the motor but I figure this is what's happening...because the same short time after it happens the gas fires again every time.

I know I cut down on the return air...because it was just sucking it out of my crawl space before. Now it's trying to get the air flowing in the whole system properly. There also is another issue in the duct work that has to be repaired...essentially a section of the return air flow duct is collapsed and needs to be redone.

I have some thoughts but don't know enough about it either. Perhaps someone could help shed some light on this issue. Also, it would seem the flue got hotter during the burn when I did this repair.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Trane XE78

Somebody probably took that cap off to keep the furnace from over heating after the return collapsed. All furnaces have temperature activated safeties called limits which shut the heat off and leaves the blower on when it over heats. You'll need to fix the return air problem.

Flue gas is hotter with less air flow over the heat exchanger. The furnace produces x BTU per hour. What doesn't transfer to the home via air blowing over the heat exchanger gets lost out the flue pipe. Speaking of flue pipe, poke that rusty spot to make sure it's still solid or if it also needs replaced.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote