Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

Share |

Trane XE 90 coupled W/XE1000 A/C No cooling

Had this unit since 96. Been working fine. Now it's blowing warm air. Can hear a air like leak by the evaporator on top of the furnace while the A/C is on. Just want to know what to maybe expect as far as repair costs on this. Thanks.

gmbwrenchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #2

shut the stat off NO COOL/FAN then listen for that leak sound down on the air handler..might be an air leak your hearing?then call for cooling out on the condenser with the compressor running grab the thin copper liquid line...take a trash can top and put it on top of the condenser holding it down...sliding it slightly off center to let some air discharge up...tell me if the LL gets warm to hot as you block that discharge air....stacking the discharge air if the charge is still within the system that LL should react real fast with heat build up.if it stays the same with the cover totally over the top on the condenser with the compressor running....your short of charge....

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #3

Ok......I checked that air leak. Almost sounds like a hissing sound. Not a air leak with the fan on. No noise at all. Only when I turn the compressor on. LL line does not get warm to hot at all. No change. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #4

blocking that condenser the LL should of reacted asap...charge is border line low.if you can access the top of the furnace and eye ball the A coil look for signs of wet oil droplets go out with the freon.even check all the lines between outside and in oil and that black armaflex holds oil leaking with freon....same as when your car engine or AC collects dirt when wet.if you can narrow down the leak area that will save time and money on the final bill.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #5

Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can get in there for a visual. Any ideas on possible repair $$$$? Anywhere from $$ to $$ this? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Well it looks like I was able to get in there and do a visual of the evaporator. Looks good from what I can see. Just a little water in the tray below. No oil residue in it. Coils look good. Anything else I can do? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #7

run the entire units piping touching and trying to get oil on the fingers and hands.condenser might be the best place for a leak or those service valves just outside the piping connections.the 2 shradder fittings are like a car tire shradder.check them then you either brazed into the condenser ot what are called rotor locks...connecting the suction and LL there....how long has the system been installed and what history of freon being added over the seasons....did it work good last season and now not since the 2012 cooling season?if your running R-22 freon the pressures on a full charge run 70PSI on the insulated suction and then 260PSI or higher on the LL and within on the discharge compressor to condenser coil....lets hear back on that freon seasonal top offs average temp changes on both parts (fully charged) run 10F rise outside ito your face from days temps and then on the air handler 18F drop from return air up into the space...read at the air handler just above or down from the A coil....

Last edited by biggles; 05-28-2012 at 04:29 PM.