Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
20 Year Veteran Carpenter

Share |

Trane XE 90

The Model Number is TUC120C960B6. During the last heating season I noticed the ignitor popping four or five times when the unit would attempt to maintain the set temp. The one red flashing light indicator would flash three flashes over and over only when the unit was warm or hot. According to the service facts this indicates a pressure switch problem. If I allowed it to cool the and then turned up temp. I got the rapid flash calling for heat and unit ran fine. So I replaced the pressure sensor switch and unit ran fine the rest of the heating season and part of this one. Now its doing the same thing again when the unit is warm or cool. It will also cut out before it reaches the set temp and then go through several humming and popping cycles before re-igniting. Any professional help would be appreciated.

Kevin171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Trane XE 90

sounds like maybe a condensate problem. Make sure the condensate is deaining properly from the unit (secondary heat exchanger)

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Hvac Pro

Trane XE 90

Yep. Remove and flush the condensate trap with hot water and bleach if you can. Make sure the drain line is not clogged with algae. Draining too slow and during the off cycle it completely drains and resets itself. Backs up during run cycle.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #4

Trane XE 90

I'll give that a shot. Is the trap is located under the fan motor attatched to the pvc? There is surface corrision around where pvc vents from inside unit. Also this unit was converted from natural gas to LP. Thanks again, going to church say a prayer for me.

Thanks again
Old 11-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Trane XE 90

Post some pics of it with both front doors off. Trap should attach to the drain line where it leaves the furnace. Propane is bad for fouling up secondary heat exchangers if not setup to burn cleanly. Should get a tech to check that. If not pretty soon it may have flame rollout/spillage in the burner box and be dangerous.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #6

Trane XE 90

Thank You, for the help, that was definitely part of the problem! I found a few drops of water under the pump as well. Hopefully the water is from the clogged drain line not an indication of a bad pump. Regarding the LP fuel, I have a carbon monoxide detector, stainless injectors and a bright blue with orange tip flame as manual for propane burn describes.