Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

Share |

Trane XE 80 Problem

It's the weekend and that's when things break. I'm an elder woman living in a condo. Sitting at my computer yesterday, a few feet from the closet holding the Trane XE 80 furnace and A/C, I heard something fall (crashing metal sound followed by several more smaller falling noises.....a few hours later, one more falling noise. My husband turned on the furnace to see if it worked and it did and seemed normal but when the a/c was turned on it sounded like metal pieces chunking against each other and we quickly turned it off. I can't see how to open the unit to see what all fell...not that it would do me any good. Just this need to see if the sky fell. This condo is about 14 years old. We've lived here 3 years. I'm sure this is the original unit. Should we bother to have someone come to look at it with fixing it in mind or just forget it and replace it with a new one? We have no experience with a unit like this. We built our own home but we know nothing about heating and a/c systems. I'll appreciate any advice before we start making phone calls tomorrow. Also would love to know, if anyone knows, what are considered the best units for condos as far as efficiency and cost go. Being in or 70's living on a fixed income, we need to consider the best we can get within the range we can afford.

pato013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Trane XE 80 Problem

What you may have heard is ice crashing inside the unit. It may be low on freon or have a dirty filter and the inside coil froze up like an old fridge B4 they were frost free/self defrosting. When the unit shut down the ice defrosts and can make that sound as it falls off. You should get a Pro to find out the real problem. It may be something minor like a dirty coil or it may be something internally busted. Leave it off for now.

Good Luck

Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #3

Trane XE 80 Problem

You may be absolutely right about ice. My husband just turned the a/c on and it sounds fine, no sound of metal hitting anything. Turned it off immediately and will leave it off. We will get a repairman in to look at coils/freon. We would never have thought of this very practical advice. Yuri, thank you so much for your kind response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
What you may have heard is ice crashing inside the unit. It may be low on freon or have a dirty filter and the inside coil froze up like an old fridge B4 they were frost free/self defrosting. When the unit shut down the ice defrosts and can make that sound as it falls off. You should get a Pro to find out the real problem. It may be something minor like a dirty coil or it may be something internally busted. Leave it off for now.

Good Luck
pato013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Trane XE 80 Problem

Glad to help. Plenty of grey hair and experience with my old noggin.