Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

TRANE XE-80 furnace on OVERDRIVE Help !

I have a TRANE XE-80 furnace. Recently while using the airconditioning, I've noticed that I can hear the airconditioning. I went down into my basement and it is really loud down there.

The best way that I can describe it, is that the blower is on overdrive. It is running faster than I have ever heard it run before. I don't know the name of the part, but there is a cylinder inside of sheet metal enclosure that I believe is like a fan blade. It is that piece that is going really fast.

If I turn the thermostat off and on again, it is like it resets and everything is normal again for a few minutes and then it kicks back into overdrive again.

Everything seems to be working properly except it is super loud and going really fast. When I look at the electronics on the outside of the housing there is a red LED that is blinking, it may always do that, I don't know.

I am a DIYer but I don't know much about this unit or any HVAC for that matter. Does anyone know what might be wrong ?

-S

squeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #2

Any thoughts ?

-Squeed

Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Most blowers have a high and low speed. Sounds like yours is kicking into High. There could be many reasons for this.

"there is a red LED that is blinking, " If it is blinking in pattern. it is a diagnostic code. Look at it and count. Does it blink ? times stop and blink ? more times. Look for the pattern and write down how many times it blinks before starting over again.

Shut off power and remove the service panel on unit. There may be two. You only want to remove the 1st one. Not the one covering the blower. Look on the back of the panel you just removed. You should see information about your unit including Model and serial number. Also look on the back of the panel and see if you can find a table indicating what diagnostic codes indicate. Hopefully this diagnostic table will be printed somewhere on your unit. Hope this helps
Chicago, IL
Dan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 500

The lower panel that covers the blower compartment is the one with the schematic and the diagnostic codes are on it as well. The top panel is the vented one that is just a stamped panel with no info.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Mechanical Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

That furnace has a multispeed blower, when it is in cooling mode it runs in a higher speed setting than heating. When the t-stat calls for a/c it makes a relay to bring the fan on in high speed, when the fan-limit brings it on in heating mode it's in a lower speed range. As previously stated look for a diagnostic code. On that furnace if the igniter is broken the fan will run constantly in high speed also.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #6

I took it apart and looked at it, and the problem is that the squirl cage (aka the blade) is no longer round, it is bent an scraping on the edge of the casing. I don't know how this could have happened, but that is the root of the problem.

Can someone tell me what the typical service charge should be to repair this type of problem ?

Thanks

-S
Old 07-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Its VERY common for trane blower wheels to come apart, i wish i had a dollar for every one i have changed over the last 20 years. You can exspect to pay a pretty penny for this repair as well.................

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote