Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #1

Share |

Trane XE-78 Furnance problem

I have a Trance XE-78 and recently it has an intermittent heating problem. When I turn on the heater it will try to ignite with the glow igniter but then the gas does not flow to ignite. It will then go to the cool down cycle and will run until I shut it off. Sometimes it ignites and runs fine. I have had an HVAC guy check it and everything seemed to work OK. He thought it might be the housing doors not secured. He came out twice and it worked when he came but stopped the next day. He also suggested to change the wall thermostat as it was 20 yrs old. The mother board will flash twice indicating the gas flow issue bit other times it works fine. I changed the thermostat. It worked fine but did not cure the problem. Today I decided to run the AC unit to check it's operation since I haven't run it for 3 months. It did not work at all nor does the heater work at all either. I checked the brackers in the panel and the Duplex plug that the unit is plugged into and they checked out fine. Now there is no red light on the mother board control unit. Thanks for any ones help.

Last edited by Ona4day; 01-19-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: used wrong word
Ona4day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

You need a meter.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ona4day View Post
I have a Trance XE-78 and recently it has an intermittent heating problem. When I turn on the heater it will try to ignite with the glow igniter but then the gas does not flow to ignite. It will then go to the cool down cycle and will run until I shut it off. Sometimes it ignites and runs fine. I have had an HVAC guy check it and everything seemed to work OK. He thought it might be the housing doors not secured. He came out twice and it worked when he came but stopped the next day. He also suggested to change the wall thermostat as it was 20 yrs old. The mother board will flash twice indicating the gas flow issue bit other times it works fine. I changed the thermostat. It worked fine but did not cure the problem. Today I decided to run the AC unit to check it's operation since I haven't run it for 3 months. It did not work at all nor does the heater work at all either. I checked the brackers in the panel and the Duplex plug that the unit is plugged into and they checked out fine. Now there is no red light on the mother board control unit. Thanks for any ones help.
I wonder if its old enough to have the old fenwall ignition control on it..............if so i would look at a new furnace before i would sink any money into that old relic.

Last edited by harleyrider; 01-20-2012 at 12:03 AM.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote