Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Share |

Trane XE 1200

So I had an a/c guy tell me that he by-passed my heat pump so it would run in "standard" heat or air versus having the aux & emergency heat. Now that we've had a couple warm days the a/c won't run but the heat works fine. My question is, is this true or is this a/c guy a total jack wagon? Biggest issue is I looked at the air handler unit in the attic & there's a wad of wires unhooked on the top, presumably the heat pump kit. From the thermostat to the control board all the wires match up. So barring this guy being an idiot & calling him back is this something I can wire back in myself or do I need an hvac tech? I've replaced a fan motor & capacitor a time or two but wasn't too sure how to go @ this 1. I wasn't up there when he unhooked it all to replace the control board & transformer last fall so I'm not positive if its as simple as it looks. Color to color on the wires sure but from the thermostat to the control board to the heat pump kit to the outside unit in what order exactly. Any help would be awesome! I can't imagine having a new a/c tech fix another techs mess is gonna be very cheap.

Fatdaddy212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Trane XE 1200

all you need to do is have the electric or back up heat wire(s) disconnected. If there are multiple heat strips in the unit there will be multiple wires coming from the unit. it sounds like he messed up on the reversing valve wiring (which need not be touched in the first place) if heat only works. In cooling mode what happens, does it blow hot air as in would during heating call or simply nothing or what?

What brand system?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

Trane XE 1200

Both heat & cool blow hot when heat isn't blowing the 3a fuse on the control board. It wasn't just a couple wires unhooked, that would have been way too easy. Haha. He unhooked most of the wires, there's 2 running to the outside unit, then those hook to the control board which is wired to the tstat. He made a mess of it from what I can tell. I prefer the heat pump to work properly, I live in north TX & don't get too many really cold days, we've never used the em heat in 4 years. I figured it was something I could handle then I saw he'd unhooked most of it & I don't really get schematics. It's a 4 ton trane xe 1200 weathertron heat pump. Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Trane XE 1200

take pictures and post them here of the diagram and all wiring at the control board, the stat and the heat pump. you can easily do this yourself, we just need to see what you're seeing.

that 3 amp fuse is blowing most likely because one of those wires is hot and touching metal, not capped off.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Trane XE 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

that 3 amp fuse is blowing most likely because one of those wires is hot and touching metal, not capped off.
Or the coil of the RV is shorted, and the reason why the "tech" did the rewire.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

Trane XE 1200

Ok i'll take some photos as soon as i get home from work. A far as the rv in te coil being blown, he didnt mention it. I think the transformer went out, so he replaced the control board then the transformer. He said the heat pump was usless & wanted to install a whole new a/c unit for @ 6k. From what i understand though a heat pump is perfect for the winter we get here & being as it runs on gas in aux heat it saves a ton of money as well. Thanks again for the help guys. Its very much appreciated
Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

Trane XE 1200

You have a dual fuel setup. You will likely have a fossil fuel kit such as the tayplus103a..... This will complicate wiring quite a bit depending on how much wiring was changed. I recommend a new thermostat capable of controlling dual fuel systems. This new thermostat will still require a lot of wiring changes.