Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Trane XE 1000 (TWR060C100A2) repair

I have a Trane Xe 1000 that is 14 y.o. Had a service technician evaluate the unit and of course he came up with a laundry list of work he says the unit needs. The list reads: 1) replace 15 uf capacitor, clean interior cabinet, replace 24 v 30 amp contacts, install a 12 x 12 return grill, and add a new compressor saver kit. He recommend the return grill because I told him my son's up stairs bed room gets very warm, even with the AC on.

He also says that the condenser unit should be removed from the covered patio area, which is not enclosed, to a concrete surface on the ground.

This is a 5 ton unit that still works. I am a handy man with knowledge of capacitors, and some electrical knowledge, and would like to do the work myself. Will these recommended repairs make the AC more efficient, and solve my upstairs cooling problem? I don't believe the unit need to be replace at this time.

wterlwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wterlwms View Post
I have a Trane Xe 1000 that is 14 y.o. Had a service technician evaluate the unit and of course he came up with a laundry list of work he says the unit needs. The list reads: 1) replace 15 uf capacitor, clean interior cabinet, replace 24 v 30 amp contacts, install a 12 x 12 return grill, and add a new compressor saver kit. He recommend the return grill because I told him my son's up stairs bed room gets very warm, even with the AC on.

He also says that the condenser unit should be removed from the covered patio area, which is not enclosed, to a concrete surface on the ground.

This is a 5 ton unit that still works. I am a handy man with knowledge of capacitors, and some electrical knowledge, and would like to do the work myself. Will these recommended repairs make the AC more efficient, and solve my upstairs cooling problem? I don't believe the unit need to be replace at this time.

Wouldn't hurt to have a hard start kit. Don't know about contractor .. May have have burnt contacts. If the condenser installed where there is restricted air flow/ movement, it may need to be moved. A return will remove hot air from the room,, In the old days, Every room in the house had a return

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #3

Thanks! What is a hard start kit, and is it something a handyman can install? Also, the contacts are a little burnt. Will replacing them may the AC more efficient?
wterlwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wterlwms View Post
Thanks! What is a hard start kit, and is it something a handyman can install? Also, the contacts are a little burnt. Will replacing them may the AC more efficient?

Depends on how handy u are. Just google hard start kit.Comes with instructions..Just gives a little xtra kick for starting the compressor. If the contacts are burnt bad enough it may not get the correct current / voltage to the compressor or keep the compressor from comming on all together compressor, The only way to make efficient is to install a higher efficient mod.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote