Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #1

Share |

Trane XE 1000 outdoor compressor knocking - sometimes

I have a Trane XE1000. The compressor makes a knocking noise sometimes when it starts -- then the noise stops. Other times, the knocking noise continues, and sometimes the thing sounds like a freaking jackhammer is pounding outside! This noise doesn't happen everytime it turns on, so what is going on with it?

It's almost 13 years old. And I had a tech come out two years ago to check the Freon (which was low then). The unit did not make the noise so the tech didn't really investigate the problem further! I looked in there when it was knocking, and I can see the compressor shaking. Any ideas on what is causing the intermittent knocking, why does it sometimes sound like a jackhammer?? Is the compressor sealed or can something be done to troubleshoot? Can I do anything myself to save money or is this a professional type of fix?

Is it time to replace the entire system? Thanks for any help!

MarkGree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

the compressor rides on 3 springs inside the sealed shell/can. one may be broken, nothing you can do except budget/save for a new unit. may go for several yrs or days, no one knows.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

if it is happening on and off it has to be something with the temps around the condenser.how much Freon did he add last time..might be Freon migration back to the compressor is the air handler above the condenser location.if you lost oil from that recharge and he didn't top it off..cup or so no big deal this could be it but it would happen more consistently then that once in awhile.oil might be trapped in the evap coil to get it to come back there is a trick...get back on my ???s and we'll go from there no tolls required is the compressor Copeland style..google it to see..scroll tall 8" diameter or hermetic can..google this also to see. 12" plus inches round...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #4

Thanks Yuri and Biggles for responding.

I think the tech told me he added almost 3 pounds of Freon two years ago, but I cannot find the receipt so I'm not sure. He didn't mention anything about the oil.

The air handler is upstairs on the 2nd floor and is diagonally about 20 or so feet away. From what Yuri stated, and from what I can see when I look into the outside unit, it appears to be hermetic. Springs? This thing has springs in there??

I went to this link http://inspectapedia.com/aircond/aircond02.htm
Is this information on this site accurate? I am a new home owner, so I have never worried about fixing anything, and the cost.

Here are links to two threads who have the same system. I don't know if all the components are the same in the second link. I have never opened the outside unit, but that red compressor motor is the same thing I see in my unit.

Here are the two links:

Noisy Trane XE 1000 outdoor compressor

Links to other forums are not permitted.

Is there anything I can do to prolong the life of the unit?

So if this thing needs to be replaced soon ....what brand should I get? How do you know how many BTU's the system should have? And should I stick with a heat pump? Is there a warranty on these things, or do you buy warranty from the company that installs it? I know absolutely nothing about a/c systems. All advice and help please!!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #5

what part of the country are you living...the size BTU runs consistent for homes 3-4 tons up thru 5 tons.1 ton of air conditioning is 12,000 BTUs..example a window unit might be 6000BTUs so that is 1/2 ton.your heat pump is just that heat in the winter cooling in the summer...youtube heat pump and it has plenty of videos..just going straight ac on a change out of the condenser would require you to add gas heating to the air handler....one your a heat pump owner it's big bucks to change over.don't feel bad that you don't know about the system or how it works I don't know what you do for a living but if I needed your service I would hire you to do it....unless your a hitman for the mob or something.being a home owner the main goal is to keep service trucks out of your driveway and with this site and the you tube videos anything within and outside is do able....if you can touch the compressor does it rock off the 3 mountings at all...or seems just slight tilting with a hand push.compressor is like a cars ..valves ...springs.. loads of extreme temps from the friction and the Freon compressing to make the cycle work....get back on area your in..wonder how those winters are here is good video note how the air in-evaporator/out-condenser is the controlling factor along with the stat and sensors did you ever hear the noises during the winter? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14MmsNPtn6U pick a compressor http://www.bestbuyheatingandaircondi...rs_bristol.htm .....BR or H2B

Last edited by biggles; 06-23-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #6

this style and compressor
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #7

I am in central Texas. It's pretty darn hot here all year long!!

And yes, I have heard the knocking in the winter when using the heat, but I don't have it on much because it's never really that cold here.

Biggles, thanks for the BTU information. Great video on heat pumps, I have so much to learn. And the picture you posted looks similar to what I have outside.

I will check to see if the compressor moves or tilts tomorrow on my day off. Is there anything else I should be looking for??
Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #8

how are the lowest temps outside during the winter nights out there when your running the heat in the unit..i missed your jackhammering in the first post definitely sounds like liquid slugging the valves...in the off time the refrigerant migrates back into the compressor and when it starts the valve is trying to compress a liquid thru the plates instead of a gas....i'll try to get a youtube on the sound...fix is easy again no service guys $$$$$ look down into the condenser is it black and tall or fat and round like in that pix I put up....

Last edited by biggles; 06-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #9

slugging on the snowball compressor that is liquid trying to be compressed...and that is a mechanical room so on the side of a house is really load...the other noises in the room are slightly cancelling the snow ball hammering.this style compressor is a scroll and can take it better then the pix I showed you...hope it is a scroll. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdktMptvzgc the blue labeled item as he explains the systems is a scroll COPELAND is top of the line used in good percentage of residential units

Last edited by biggles; 06-23-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Trane doesn't use Copeland scrolls. Per say. Trane and Copeland do have a joint venture plant that makes scrolls that are only used in Trane units.

As I recall, TWR models used a Climatuff recip compressor.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #11

i'm trying to get a shape and size...so the compressor is a can not a scroll this guy is slugging small wattage CCH might solve the problem in the of cycle don't want to over heat the compressor during a run....don't want to go thru all the relay switching with a homeowner.. in the ON cycle..it is random has to be temps in and out side and those ambients

Last edited by biggles; 06-23-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Climatuff recip compressors in heat pumps come with a factory CCH.

Weather or not his is working can't say from here.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #13

either or with 2 wires sticking out of lower section or band wrap around CCH..thanks..
Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #14

Yes, Beenthere is correct! From what I see outside, it looks like a climatuff reciprocating compressor. It is red, small and squatty, not the taller scroll looking one.

The temps here in winter rarely drop below freezing - maybe in the lower 40's in winter, and it is almost 100 and higher all summer.

What is a CCH? And how do you know if it is liquid slugging? Does that make the jackhammering sound? and the knocking sound? Sometimes it runs quietly and I hear nothing, but the fan motor humming around...so what do you guys think it is and what do I do?
Old 06-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Crank Case Heater.

Yours should look like the one in this pick. http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-E-M-Trane-...item2a2c9d7f9f

It may be from liquid migration to the compressor during the off cycle. Does it do it when its 90 or hotter outside.