Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #1

Share |

Trane Heating system blower fan wont turn off.

Hello all, I just moved into a rental unit with a Trane HVAC system, electric, Model thv030a140a0.

Well when we put the thermostat to about 70 degrees, the heat will come on, and on the thermostat there are two lights, a red for emergency heat, and a blue for what im assuming is normal heat. the blue light comes on, warm air blows through the apartment, and im happy. What happens though is that the heat turns off (blue light turns off), but the air still come through the vents. the unit states that it will stay on for about 80 seconds, but sometimes it stays on for over 2 hours, which at this point, it is cooling down the entire apartment. The thermostat uses 2 Mercury switches, which i believe is the issue. the top mercury switch is for the fan, and the bottom is for the heat. the bottom heat switch moves, and turns off, but the top one stays on. im 100% sure that the top mercury switch is an issue, since it doesnt move with the bottom switch.

the landlord thinks that there is nothing wrong, because he states that when the outside unit is running, the internal blower fan needs to run, which he says is VERY often.
what i think is that when the desired temperature is reached, the blower should only run for 80 seconds, because any longer than that, it is blowing cold air.

Last edited by briwesk85; 02-12-2011 at 08:11 PM.
briwesk85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

The ones I work on . The second bulb brings on secondary heat. Blower (if elec. unit) should operate off a sequencer

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

blue light is aux heat, first stage heat is Heat pump and will put out cool air but is still attempting to maintain setpoint on stat, this is normal operation of a heat pump system with electric strip aux heat. if you are not paying for the electric bill then put the stat in Emergency heat and it will act the way you want it to, but it is conserving energy the way it is working, which is proper.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #4

But I am paying for electric, and it seems that with the fan running all the time cooling the place just to warm it up is a waste of energy. The air coming out with the blue light off is very cold and just drops the temp very low
briwesk85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

it may seem cold to the touch, but it is not and is in fact saving you money by not running the strip heat all the time. Otherwise, if you are convinced something is wrong, then get permission from the landlord to have the system looked at (your cost).